Player sacked after disclosing information to hoax caller

CumbrianRam

Rangers have terminated their contract with Francisco Sandaza, subject to the right of appeal.

The striker, 28, was suspended pending an investigation into a hoax telephone call involving a man claiming to be a football agent.

Sandaza allegedly disclosed contract details and declared himself interested in a move to another club.

"The club, and our advisors, believe that dismissal is the appropriate course of action," stated Rangers.

Signed last summer after he left St Johnstone, Sandaza scored twice this season for Rangers, who have won the Scottish Football League Third Division.

The full club statement read: "Rangers announced today that the club has decided to terminate its contract with Francisco Sandaza. The player has been advised of the situation.

"Francisco spoke at length to someone posing as an agent and engaged in a conversation which the club believes to be a material breach of his contract of employment.

"The player was suspended but after careful consideration and a hearing with Francisco and his representatives, the club, and our advisors, believe that dismissal is the appropriate course of action.

"The termination is subject to the right of appeal under SFL rules and there will be no further comment from Rangers on this issue."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22021733

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I understand why Rangers have done what they've done. The lad has done nothing worse than be a bit stupid.

The caller on the other hand. I'd string him up if i could. What a disgraceful society we live in. I'm sure he and the other Celtic fans involved will somehow be proud of their actions.

Surely there has to be some case for entrapment? I mean the guy who made the call made totally false representation claims.

What a nasty ****.

Archived