Out of recession!

SillyBilly

1% growth, 0.2% attributed to the Olympics - great result. Unemployment figures slowly falling. Still this in the midst of the terribly worrying 9.4% annual deficit, I still don't understand why "austerity" gets mentioned, we're borrowing more than we ever have, even more than Labour were!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wikipedia article on Newspeak:-

The Newspeak term for the English language is Oldspeak. The Party intends to replace Oldspeak completely with Newspeak before 2050 (except among the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proles]Proles, who are not trained in Newspeak and whom the Party regards as barely human and unimportant).

I am a prole, or to use Newspeak, a pleb, and in my plebeian simplicity I had not realised that in the midst of a recession I was to speak of the "green shoots" of recovery.at

As a prole I am not expected to understand the concept of " quantitative easing"

I heard of it in 2008 as a method of simply printing money to keep up the pretence that every day in every way things were getting better.

BBC quote

Is this printing money?

These days the Bank of England does not have to literally print money - it is all done electronically.

However, economists still argue that QE is the same principle as printing money as it is a deliberate expansion of the central bank's balance sheet and the monetary base.

Recession? what Recession?

Independent this afternoon:-

David Cameron and George Osborne were handed an economic boost today as figures showed that Britain had bounced strongly out of recession over the summer.

The best set of economic figures since Mr Cameron became Prime Minister showed the nation's output jumped by one per cent in the three months to the end of September - far faster than City economists had forecast.

So what are the rest of us worrying about?

Oh and a "double dip" isn't that sherbert and liquorice? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Archived