Terra Nova / Star Trek: Voyager rant.

trekkie_ram

Terra Nova is a new Dinosaur series on Sky One.

Terra Nova was ruined the moment Brannon Braga became involved. He ruined Star Trek with the abomination that is Voyager, famous for its end of episode resets (ie: a life changing thing will happen to a character, but by the start of the next episode nothing has changed.

Star Trek: Voyager had something like 5 shuttlecraft, the whole point of the series is that they were cut off from home with no friends, no way of replacing what they had, and by the end of the series 20 of these 5 shuttlecraft had been destroyed (you do the maths).

If anyone has seen Terra Nova, it is blighted with a similar but not identical problem, the main problem with this show is solutions happening off camera. They would cut to an advert break, and any peril would miraculously go away. I want it to get better, but it seems like a massive waste of money to give to a penis like Braga.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular misconception - braga didn't wreck voyager, that was jeri taylor who was hell-bent on turning the show into the women's hour.

Braga and berman wanted the year of hell story to run the length of the season. Taylor wanted more touchy feely so we ended up with the holodeck stories about the stereotypical oirish folk.

Terra Nova - great idea, started out well but fallen into predictability.

Personally, I'd give Berman top vote for wrecking Voyager, but Braga seems to wreck anything he touches (Voyager, 24, Terra Nova). If only Ronald Moore hadn't been kicked. Voyager could have been Battlestar Galactica.

As for the Year of Hell thing, I can imagine that being like the third season of Enterprise which was bobbins too. Enterprise season four under Manny Coto was superb, but it was axed based on season threes 'Xindi' abortion.

Terra Nova reminds me of the failed BBC series Outcasts. Whilst they have different settings - Outcasts involving an extrasolar planet and Terra Nova involving time travel, they're both based on the same idea that mankind wrecked the planet and must find a new home. In the process, mankind transfers his problems to the new world and there is a rival tribe - in Outcasts, it was the ACs. Terra Nova has the sixes.

I enjoyed Outcasts and was sad to see that programme get the chop. I hope Terra Nova is a success.

As for Star Trek Voyager - probably my favourite out of the Star Treks. There were flaws and inconsistencies in the whole Star Trek universe but ultimately its a show aimed at the general population and most people won't bother looking for them or understand the concept behind the technologies.

The shuttlecraft were small vehicles and the crew probably replicated the parts to build them. Ensign Paris built the Delta Flyer.

Terra Nova reminds me of the failed BBC series Outcasts. Whilst they have different settings - Outcasts involving an extrasolar planet and Terra Nova involving time travel, they're both based on the same idea that mankind wrecked the planet and must find a new home. In the process, mankind transfers his problems to the new world and there is a rival tribe - in Outcasts, it was the ACs. Terra Nova has the sixes.

I enjoyed Outcasts and was sad to see that programme get the chop. I hope Terra Nova is a success.

As for Star Trek Voyager - probably my favourite out of the Star Treks. There were flaws and inconsistencies in the whole Star Trek universe but ultimately its a show aimed at the general population and most people won't bother looking for them or understand the concept behind the technologies.

The shuttlecraft were small vehicles and the crew probably replicated the parts to build them. Ensign Paris built the Delta Flyer.

Mate, Voyager is toss, any Trekkie worth his/her salt knows it is toss. The whole premise of the show is that they didn't have resources like shuttlecraft / torpedoes / gel-packs or the energy reserves to replicate anything. The producers copped out and and made a show that appealed to lazy, idiots. It was poor TV at best, and it completely ruined the best aliens in Star Trek (Borg).

Archived