Sav: New role may prolong my career

Day

Robbie Savage feels he can play on for another two or three years in his new-found midfield role. Former Derby County manager Paul Jewell signed Savage (pictured right) for £1.5m from Blackburn Rovers in January 2008 but dropped him in the first half of this season.

The 34-year-old midfielder did not feature for four months and spent a spell on loan at Brighton & Hove Albion.

But new boss Nigel Clough arrived in January this year and had other ideas.

Clough felt Derby needed the Welsh international’s experience and composure on the ball, and Savage has become the team’s play-maker.

He is a different player from the one seen at Blackburn Rovers, Birmingham City and Leicester City when he tore around the pitch closing players down.

“I even closed down the corner flags in some games,†smiled Savage, who has been handed a new lease of life.

He has started 17 of the last 18 games, and believes he can be the ‘old head’ of the team next season in what will be the final year of his contract.

“I honestly thought that after my contract was up at Derby, the way it was going, that that would be me finished,†said Savage.

"To play as I am now, I can do that with the odd rest for another two of three years.

"I am only looking to the next game, but there is a place in every team for an old head and if I can be Nigel’s old head next season, fantastic.

"I’ve always said I would like to go to Wrexham and play before I finish but I can’t see that now because I am so happy here.

“Look at Tugay at Blackburn, he is 38. I honestly still believe I can play in the Premiership, the way I am playing at the minute.â€Â

Jewell started Savage in three of the first four games of the season but left him out after the home defeat by Southampton on August 23.

“This is where I feel a bit of sympathy for Paul Jewell,†said Savage.

"He bought me as that box-to-box player – I’m not that anymore.

"So we are both to blame, really. I’m to blame because I couldn’t offer him what I think he bought me for.

"Nigel sees me in a different role and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

"I feel I have picked things up from Tugay at Blackburn and Muzzy Izzet at Leicester in the way I’m now playing.

"You learn every day in football but I have always been comfortable on the ball.

"The gaffer picks the team he thinks can win a particular game. He did that against Sheffield Wednesday recently and we won.

"I was not in that 11 because it was the second game in three days but the thing I like about the gaffer is that he’s honest and open.

“He spoke to me before the Sheffield Wednesday game and said I was having a rest. He said he wanted me ready and raring to go on the Monday against Wolves, which I was.â€Â

[url=http://therams.co.uk/stories/sav-new-role-may-prolong-my-career]http://therams.co.uk/stories/sav-new-role-...olong-my-career

Before Cloughs arrival Savage said on Soccer AM his legs had gone, a few months down the line "To play as I am now, I can do that with the odd rest for another two of three years." Is Clough really a miracle worker?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he is miracle worker - look what he has done in such a short time - with all the injuries we have had - things can only get better and don't start me on Sav there is not enough room on the page !

Hope he does have the legs for at least another season - you should see him at away matches having banter with the fans, would love him to stay after he has finished playing as well to help out - would be a great influence.

If he loves us so much how about taking a voluntary pay cut?

For me another season of Sav in the middle and thats the lot, didn't he say his face was to pretty not to be on TV, hinting that he would like to be a pundit?

Archived