Lent

Perky1106

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 8 year old nephew at school was asked what he'd be giving up.

He said "toast".

Teacher asked him what he'd be having instead, he said "toasted teacakes".

Aw bless - out of the mouths of babes :)

According to t'holy book you're allowed to consume or utilise the product that you're given up on sundays, however, does this count as properly giving up?

Catholics follow that pattern, as it makes the days of Lent equal 40, and therefore comparable with the 40 days in the wilderness spent by Jesus.

Proddies just get on with it and fast for the whole Lent period.

According to t'holy book you're allowed to consume or utilise the product that you're given up on sundays, however, does this count as properly giving up?

Yeah and it also says eating shellfish is an abomination.

I aint giving up something because of that stupid storybook.

Without wanting to start a whole other debate.... about 900-1000 years after the ban on shellfish (and other foods) was issued to the Israelites, God said that no foods were to be considered clean or unclean. Jews still abide by the shellfish ban, like they do the the whole pork thing. The bans were for practical reasons at the time, e.g. pigs and other animals with cloven hooves were susceptible to infections entering their bodies through the cloven hoof - anyone eating meat from an infected animal could also succumb to the same illness.

I don't eat shellfish; not because some book tells me not to, but because I don't like it :)

Archived