FA to appoint English coach

Day

The Football Association has revealed it is ready to appoint an English coach to work alongside Fabio Capello in the Three Lions set-up.

The new man could be groomed as the Italian's replacement and will not only work with the senior squad but also with the England age-group teams, including Stuart Pearce's Under 21s.

The appointment is likely to be made by the end of next month with Alan Shearer hotly tipped for the role.

However, FA general secretary Alex Horne said: "I've got a preferred candidate but I'm not going to give you a name.

"I envisage it will be a part-time contractual arrangement."

Sir Trevor Brooking, the FA's director of football development, has been heavily involved in the appointment and Horne added: "It's something which I spoke to Trevor about just before Christmas.

"I would expect by the end of February to have a name.

"I think there are a number of things that somebody could help us with around the international set-up.

"It's an environment where a young coach can come in and learn from Fabio, but also learn from the experiences of Stuart, (Under-17 manager) John Peacock and the other national coaches that we've got.

"I'm speccing out a role, which is one of the reasons why it's been delayed."

Meanwhile, Pearce has been tipped to lead Great Britain's football team at the 2012 Olympics in London.

Horne hinted that Pearce would be the ideal candidate to lead Britain's bid at the end of this season.

He also confirmed that a British side would replace the Under 21 team in the year leading up to the Games.

"It would be very logical," he said.

"I suspect that what we will have to do is to substitute out the England Under 21 fixtures for this team - this hybrid team, assuming it has alternative players in it."

Although Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have been opposed to players from their countries being picked, Horne admitted the FA is 'working through an alternative selection process'.

He added: "My agenda for the next three months or so includes serious conversations with the other home nations about the Olympic team, because we need to get that right.

"We are all aware there are individual player issues. There are home nation sensitivities.

"So we need to work that through with the other home nations."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6658733,00.html

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived