Glick: We expect to recruit in window

Day

CHIEF executive Tom Glick has told Derby County supporters angered by this week's FA Cup embarrassment that the club is striving to bolster the squad this month.

Non-League Crawley Town dumped Derby out of the Cup on Monday night and the Rams have slipped to 13th in the Championship after they had been fourth.

A run of one win in seven League games has dented confidence and many fans believe new faces need to be added to the squad in this January transfer window.

Manager Nigel Clough, who has apologised to the fans following the defeat by Crawley, has identified targets and Glick insists progress is being made to bring in players both in permanent deals and on loan.

He has revealed that Derby have a bid in for one player.

"We are looking at three positions right now – centre forward, central defence and also in midfield," said Glick.

"We have a bid out for one, we have advanced far down the road on a second of those positions, and we remain optimistic on both of those. On the third, we continue to work all of our options.

"We know we need to strengthen a bit but again I would also add that we feel we have the nucleus of a very good squad here which hasn't changed substantially from six weeks ago.

"We don't want to forget that.

"We do expect to make some additions.

"We could see a permanent addition, we are certainly pursuing quality loans, and we think that is the best way to get value.

"There are three weeks left of the window and we are hard at work.

"We are working very closely together – the manager, the coaching staff and myself on finding the right additions."

Glick believes the squad is capable of being involved in the race for the play-offs in the second half of the season but he says the club will not be splashing "massive" sums of money in the current window.

"There are too many examples where just throwing money at it is not a successful strategy," added Glick.

"We are focused on performance and getting back in the play-off race. We think we are capable of that but we are also focused on doing this over the long haul.

"What we are not intending to do is splash out massive sums of money just to chase a promotion this summer.

"If we can get back in the mix, we will, but we are going to do it with some responsibility.

"If we can find the right player, then yes we will bring in a permanent signing and paying money for that permanent signing continues to be an option.

"But we are more than happy to get in quality loans.

"We are pursuing what we think will be some quality additions who happen to be half-season loans that we think will make a measurable impact, including getting us back in the play-off race. If we win at Watford on Saturday we are right back in it."

Derby are five points outside the top six having played 25 of their 46 league fixtures.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Glick-expect-recruit-window/article-3090743-detail/article.html

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"We are looking at three positions right now – centre forward, central defence and also in midfield," said Glick.

Can't believe we're not looking for a leftback. :rolleyes:

Good to hear that plans are afoot, but I'll be happier when we get to see a) who these players are, and b) if we actually manage to get them in.

With Davies and Porter coming back from injury, and Commons still here for now, and Bueno, I'd have thought that we were actually ok up front. Priorities for me would have been LB, GK and a creative midfielder.

Archived