Mercy killings

J.Kickstones

There's no law against suicide in the UK. It's a sad way to go, but not illegal. Assisted suicide is still murder at the moment.

Lyndsey, I'm not sure how a suicide can be assisted it the person still has the ability to do it themselves? Surely, if they have the ability to do it themselves but someone does it for them.... that's got to be dodgy ground?

I believe if you attempt sucide and fail you can be charged for attempted murder. But it is rarely the case. People in that situation need help and not the force of the law.

But in the case of assisted suicide it really opens a can of worms.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe if you attempt sucide and fail you can be charged for attempted murder. But it is rarely the case. People in that situation need help and not the force of the law.

It smacks of moral double standards. You cannot kill yourself instantly but its alright to have prolonged destuction of life through smoking and excessive drinking, but hey the state makes money from that. And what about abortion surely that's assisted murder of a life?

It smacks of moral double standards. You cannot kill yourself instantly but its alright to have prolonged destuction of life through smoking and excessive drinking, but hey the state makes money from that. And what about abortion surely that's assisted murder of a life?

It's ridiculous isn't it. Smoking and drinking are causes as death only as much as overeating and laziness.

But abortion I am firmly against.

Edit: On a brighter note, 5,000! Woop.

I'd be interested to know how suicide can be interpreted as murder. Can you murder yourself? Surely that must be the case, if attempted suicide can be prosecuted as attempted murder....?

We are also told it's a sin by the very people that advocate life after death in the heavenly kingdom of God. Should not those that beleive in the after life and want to terminate this phase of existance onto the next be allowed to?

You've not been told that by me. I've no idea if a suicide victim (not sure if that's the right way to address such a person - suicider, suicidee just don't sound right?) would enter into heaven, but I'll let you know when I get there ;)

I call them victims because that's what they are. They've been driven to do it and it's out of their control when they're in such an awful state of mind.

I wasn't having a go Joe, it just ocurred to me as I was posting that it's a bit of an awkward thing to put that kind of label on.

I think its impossible to know the feelings unless youre in that position.It must be terrible.

Spot on with that one, dangerous.

It's impossible to know how you'd feel until it happens to you.

Archived