Director of Football

Stimacked

Just reading about Liverpools appointment of Comolli as director of footie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9156815.stm

Just wondering if Johnny Metgod is actually playing a similar role for Clough.

without the title.

like a more hands on/ odd jobs man type (coaching included)

Director of Football at this club. Suppose one key difference is that

Clough most probably recruited Metgod, and knew him well.

Also seem to remember under Jewell, that some of the players we signed were meant to have been targeted based on there stats

sabermetrics in the championship

Using statistical analysis to recruit players rather than rely on the subjective judgement of coaches and scouts, sabermetrics was an idea developed by baseball fan Bill James.

looking at some of our recent transfers, I.e. young talented players

signed relatively cheaply. Think its likely some of them were purchased with the idea they could be sold on for higer fees as part of GCE`s business model. I.e making profits.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn`t Comolli slated by Spurs fans when he was sacked?

I think he was part of the mess when they fell to the bottom three of the PL not that long ago.

The whole coaching staff went out the door at that point, including a few directors etc. So he isn't well thought of down their way anymore.

......looking at some of our recent transfers, I.e. young talented players

signed relatively cheaply. Think its likely some of them were purchased with the idea they could be sold on for higer fees as part of GCE`s business model. I.e making profits.

Well, our business model in the past was to buy expensive, over the hill players and let them leave for nothing. If the new business model leads to profits that are used to improve the squad then it sounds pretty good to me.

Well, our business model in the past was to buy expensive, over the hill players and let them leave for nothing. If the new business model leads to profits that are used to improve the squad then it sounds pretty good to me.

claude davis was a good signing

I'm not sure, he left from around that time though I think. That's all I have on him lol, I just remembered his name from that spell when they were bottom with Ramos in charge.

Some of the players Comolli brought to White Hart Lane - Gareth Bale, Tom Huddlestone, Michael Dawson, Aaron Lennon, Jermain Defoe and Jermaine Jenas - provide a clue as to the Frenchman's modus operandi; buy young English talent to ensure maximum resale value if they are to be sold on.

Lol i`m wrong i apologise ;)

Some of the players Comolli brought to White Hart Lane - Gareth Bale, Tom Huddlestone, Michael Dawson, Aaron Lennon, Jermain Defoe and Jermaine Jenas - provide a clue as to the Frenchman's modus operandi; buy young English talent to ensure maximum resale value if they are to be sold on.

Lol i`m wrong i apologise ;)

I wasn't saying he wasn't very good, I just remembered his name from the spell when Ramos was in charge and they basically reshuffled the entire management and transfer system :rolleyes:

If it's true that he signed those players then he did a good job, though those players could have been signed by the managers themselves :p

Archived