Lewis announces retirement

Hucknall Ram

Bloody four years to late!

Former United States international Eddie Lewis has announced he plans to retire at the end of this season.

The 36-year-old, who represented the USA at the World Cup in 2002 and 2006, scored 10 goals in 82 internationals and is in his third season with Los Angeles Galaxy.

The veteran winger had previously played for Premier League Fulhamalong with fellow English outfits Preston, Leeds and Derby, scoring 23 goals in 236 league appearances.

"I'm so proud to have been able to have had the experiences that the sport of soccer has afforded me," Lewis said in a statement issued by the Galaxy.

"I have played in two World Cups, in one of the world's biggest leagues and so much more, but more importantly, along the way I have been able to do things that I never otherwise would have."

Arena tribute

Galaxy's general manager and head coach, Bruce Arena, paid a glowing tribute to Lewis, who hails from Cerritos in California.

"Eddie Lewis is arguably the finest left-sided midfielder in the history of US soccer," added the former US coach.

"His play in the 2002 and 2006 World Cups, MLS (Major League Soccer) and English football secures his place in the Hall of Fame."

Lewis began his MLS career with the San Jose Clash in 1996 and stayed with the club until the end of the 1999 season.

He then linked up with Fulham in March 2000 and returned home to join the Galaxy in August 2008.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6457488,00.html

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived