Clough may look to bring in loan striker

Day

DERBY County could bring in a forward on a long-term loan following the injury blow to Steve Davies.

Davies faces at least six months out after undergoing knee surgery to repair cruciate ligament damage.

The 22-year-old was in Nigel Clough's plans for the new season and now the manager might dip into the loan market to boost his attacking options.

Clough feels a six-month or season-long loan would provide better value for money than if Derby made a permanent signing given the "astronomical" fees being asked for players by their clubs.

Funds are available to make a permanent signing, said Clough, but he reiterated that Derby put a value on players and will not budge from that value.

"It is very difficult to get the quality of player we are after on a permanent deal because the fees people are asking are astronomical at the moment," said Clough.

"The prices tend to come down as you get to the end of August.

"We are reasonably happy with the squad and we are going to bide our time. If there is the right deal out there, we will try and do it.

"If we put a value on a player and the other club wants double, we sit and wait. If they come down to near our valuation, fine, but I don't think we will be budging from our valuation.

"A six-month loan would probably make the most sense. We would probably get the best value for money on that sort of deal.

"We can go to a Premier League club and say we are looking for a striker or wide player for six months and we will get a good quality player for that sort of time.

"We have already started making a few calls."

Derby have in the past shown an interest in Simon Cox of West Bromwich Albion and Everton's James Vaughan. Both players would fit the bill of a loan signing if their clubs were to allow them out.

Clough has been saying that he already had six forwards in the squad and it was likely one would have to leave for another to come in.

"With Steve Davies being out, it changes it slightly and we may well need one irrespective of whether anybody goes out," said Clough.

"We have contingency plans if somebody out of the squad did go. We have got replacements lined up."

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Clough-weighs-loan-cover-injured-Davies/article-2426860-detail/article.html

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

same old story from the club, it worries me slightly that he's happy with the squad? this is a squad which struggled last season and didn't deserve to finish 14th, did have a relegation battle and if a couple of resuls went different, we could ahve been in serious problems. I will wait and see what players he brings in on loan before i make a judgement and will wait till august 7th

yup, i dont blame nigel though, if g.s.e arn't giving him funds he can't do anything, i dont believe clough is happy with the squad, i believe he's hoping that he can bide some time until janurary when we may have some funds freed up, i think this season will end up in nigel getting the chop which would be uinfair because it's g.s.e who deserves to go not nigel, they said when they took over they wanted to follow the plan of randy learner at aston villa and make us into a top 7 club, the debt isn't on the scale it was, we have a lot of season ticket holders and yes these things have beena cheieved through g.s.e's marketing of the club and good debt management. However what has resulted is in the benal playing staff who ae either crocks, or mostly can't cut it anymore. Barker, bywater, hulse are the only consistently mostly injury free players who put in a good performence, the club does need some sensible investment this season because 14th wasn't a true refelction of what the team was at, we were 18-20th for most of the season, leacock, addison and commons are good when fit but they are rarley fit, also rb could be a problem if our new rb goes the same way as moxey does

if money is available why are looking in binging players on loan? I dont believe we should neccersarily sign hooper but there are others out there, what about lambert from southampton, thee are plenty others, dereck riordon from hibernian, there are plenty of strikers other than hooper, and 3 million pounds isn't astronomical, and I dont believe money is there, we ahve spent 800,000 pounds so far, the wage budget is getting smaller and smaller, these are signs in fact money isn't there and under g.s.e never will be

as i said hooper isn't the only striker we could pursue, adam le fondre, rickie lambert, dereck riordon ect there are loads of great strikers, i think if we could get hooper for 1.75million it would be good but i doubt they would accept that, they are quoting 3 million for him. We do need a new striker though, i will wait and see who we get in before i judge, however 3 million isn't astronomical

Theres hundreds of strikers we could pursue but if Clough doesn't think they will fit in with the current squad both tactically and personally we aint going to sign them.

We was linked with Cox on loan a few weeks ago, I'd be happy with him on loan rather than buying for the sake of buying. I know loans are not ideal but if the targets you have you've been quoted silly money for theres not alot you can do.

Will that be before or after the first game?

I think you need to give them at least a couple of months to settle in to the season, some clubs take a while to get going..

Also don't forget the January transfer window, you blow all your cash now and pick up injuries in other areas your buggered. We've only lost Davies so far and Porter is only out of the first two pre-season games. It's far far too early to hit the panic button.

Archived