Billy Sharp joins Doncaster Rovers

Day

Doncaster Rovers have paid a club record fee to sign striker Billy Sharp from Sheffield United.

BBC Radio Sheffield understands the former Ssausagehorpe forward, 24, will cost Rovers in the region of £1.1m.

Sharp, who recently turned down a move to Burnley, scored 15 goals in 35 appearances during a loan spell at the Keepmoat Stadium last season.

United are also believed to be close to agreeing terms with former Leeds and Plymouth midfielder Simon Walton.

Walton is out of contract and expected at Bramall Lane later this week.

On Friday the Blades confirmed they had also completed the signing of goalkeeper Steve Simonsen on a free transfer from Premier League side Stoke City.

Simonsen told the club website: "This was my first choice, I know what the place is about and enjoyed it last season.

"It is a great club and I see no reason why the team can't improve on last season, after all, it is shaping up to be a well-balanced and settled squad with a heck of a lot of knowledge about the Championship.

"I have come to a club where I'm going to be playing football and it is an added bonus that it's at a club that has a real chance of promotion."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/doncaster/8789155.stm

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived