Capello names his chosen 30

Day

England coach Fabio Capello has named Gareth Barry and Jamie Carragher in his 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup.

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has come out of retirement to be named in the squad to help provide cover in defence.

Manchester City midfielder Barry was a major doubt for the squad after picking up an ankle injury last week, but Capello has taken a gamble on his fitness.

As a result of Barry's inclusion Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves has been omitted after he was tipped to replace Barry in the selection.

Tottenham quintet Ledley King, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch have been included in the squad.

King has been given the nod despite his injury problems, but Wes Brown and

Joleon Lescott have both been left out.

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole has made the squad despite struggling to hold down a place in the Blues side this season.

Joe Hart has been rewarded for his impressive form during his loan spell at Birmingham with a place in the squad alongside David James and Robert Green

There is no spot for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora with Darren Bent being named among the strikers along with Wayne Rooney, Emile Heskey, Crouch and Defoe

England's 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Joe Hart

David James

Robert Green

Leighton Baines

Jamie Carragher

Ashley Cole

Michael Dawson

Rio Ferdinand

Glen Johnson

Ledley King

John Terry

Matthew Upson

Stephen Warnock

Gareth Barry

Michael Carrick

Joe Cole

Steven Gerrard

Tom Huddlestone

Adam Johnson

Frank Lampard

Aaron Lennon

James Milner

Scott Parker

Theo Walcott

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Darren Bent

Peter Crouch

Jermain Defoe

Emile Heskey

Wayne Rooney

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12016_6147309,00.html

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering he needs to take 7 out, Dan thinks he should take 3 out and put another 2 in. A quick calculation on my abacus 30 - 3 + 2 = 29

I think we'l see Warnock, Ferdinand, Parker, Huddlestone, Barry, Bent and A Johnson drop out. (Ferdinand and Barry due to fitness).

The one player I'm glad to see that you lot want in is Agbonlahor, I fail to see what he would bring to the team, every game he's played for England he's been pants.

It's nice to see a product of our academy in the squad. But if I wasn't a Derby fan I'd be quick to point out that Huddlestone doesn't have enough experience in the first team.

I don't think Agbonlahor is good enough.

It was all over the media and it is clear Carragher doesn't care about England so why on earth recall him?

I read an interview with Carragher and it touched on the England retirement, it wasn't because he didn't care about England, after having one of his best seasons with Liverpool and being highly praised by the media and pundits he still didn't make the England squad. He thought that no matter what he did he wouldn't ever make the grade, rather than being disappointed at each selection he retired.

With Cappello he obviously feels he has a chance now, he's not been great this season but if he could find his top form with England he'l be a great addition to the squad if Ferdinand doesn't make it.

Archived