Clough Plans Inevitable Changes

Day

Nigel Clough is targeting five or six arrivals at Pride Park this summer to shape up his squad for next season.

Although Championship survival is not yet secure for next season, the Rams are all-but safe with three games left to play.

Clough says the change of personnel is inevitable in what will be his second summer in charge.

Last summer Clough drafted in five players and since his arrival a considerable number have left the club.

He feels this summer however the departures list won't be as heavy but is earmarking a similar number of departures alongside fresh arrivals.

"It will be an inevitable change of personnel which will take place," explained Clough.

"Five or six will come in and five or six will go out as well.

"I think that is justified from the season we have had and I think we're close on two or three coming in already.

"We don't want to conduct a massive overhaul; that is not the way to evolve a squad.

"We will try to improve with the players we are aiming to bring in.

"Over the past twelve months we have put our house in order to a large degree so we aren't under any pressure to sell."

Clough has also admitted he is still keen to extend Russell Anderson's contract beyond its expiry at the end of the season, while he has also expressed an interest in retaining loan star Michael Tonge from Stoke City.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got 7 going out when the article say's 5 or 6 you doughnut, take Pringle off that list as he's just signed a new contract. Oh and while your at it, take Hooper off it as well. If we sign Hooper I'l walk down to Pride Park naked, purchase a Balti pie and a matchday programme then walk back again.

In - Tongu, Bujis -Brayford and somehow someway we got to get Hooper so Daveo has to carry out what he said he would do. :D

Out - much harder - Teale, Croft, Varney, Price,Connolly, Hendrie, not sure about Davies - he didnt look interested on sat got a mixed reception when he went off and he wasnt on the team coach as i saw him walk past the roadrider when waiting to leave Barnsley, and Nigel's obv not happy with the amount of games he has played and says he needs to work really hard. and where does that leave the other crocks - Addison, Leacock ? both on big wages i guess.

We'l never sell Addison, he's out injured for the best part of next season. Some players never fully recover from long term lay offs, I don't see any club in the country willing to take a risk on him.

I'm guessing Clough's out wish list may not tally with other clubs interest in our players. I'm sure he would want rid of Croft, Teale, Connolly. Although we're more likely to get bids for players like Hulse, Green and Commons. Should be an interesting summer.

We'l never sell Addison, he's out injured for the best part of next season. Some players never fully recover from long term lay offs, I don't see any club in the country willing to take a risk on him.

I'm guessing Clough's out wish list may not tally with other clubs interest in our players. I'm sure he would want rid of Croft, Teale, Connolly. Although we're more likely to get bids for players like Hulse, Green and Commons. Should be an interesting summer.

green can feck orrf

You've got 7 going out when the article say's 5 or 6 you doughnut, take Pringle off that list as he's just signed a new contract. Oh and while your at it, take Hooper off it as well. If we sign Hooper I'l walk down to Pride Park naked, purchase a Balti pie and a matchday programme then walk back again.

i'd pay good money to witness this :D

• 3 weeks later...

The aim is to bring players in and keep improving.

"We have some money – it's just on which player or players we're going to allocate it.

"It's a dilemma. Do you go for one big signing or three smaller ones, that sort of thing.

"That's what we'll be discussing this week.

Nigel after the game yesterday.

Archived