Lars Bohinen was a disappointment, as was that Bjorn Otto Bragstad that Jim Smith signed after performing well in the world cup (or was it the euros)

Wanchope was a pleasant surprise whereas his mate Solis who I think Jim Smith thought was the better player was underwhelming

Francois Grenet was another one - supposedly the second best right back in France and he was awful - To be fair a number of the signings from that period weren't great.

Poom was an underwhelming signing who turned out to be great.

But similarly that striker Murdo Mackay brought in from Coventry, whose name escapes me and scored loads of goals prior to joining, was cr*p. Ditto that Man City/Portsmouth striker who bought himself out of the army......

1: Players that... looked really good but then ended up being utter rubbish

Vas  Borbokis, bradley johnson, jacob butterfield

2: Players that... looked really utter rubbish but then ended up pleasantly surprising you

Chris powell, Jeff hendrick, Leighton james, 

3: Players that... you were really excited when you heard we signed them but ended up being rather poor

Bobby campbell, gordon hill, tom lawrence, andy todd, john robertson, 

4: Players that... underwhelmed you when you heard they had signed but ended up being far better than expected

bruce rioch, curtis davies, alan biley

4 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Lars Bohinen was a disappointment, as was that Bjorn Otto Bragstad that Jim Smith signed after performing well in the world cup (or was it the euros)

Wanchope was a pleasant surprise whereas his mate Solis who I think Jim Smith thought was the better player was underwhelming

Francois Grenet was another one - supposedly the second best right back in France and he was awful - To be fair a number of the signings from that period weren't great.

Poom was an underwhelming signing who turned out to be great.

But similarly that striker Murdo Mackay brought in from Coventry, whose name escapes me and scored loads of goals prior to joining, was cr*p. Ditto that Man City/Portsmouth striker who bought himself out of the army......

Stern John?

1 hour ago, Hinzy9 said:

Stern John?

Never scored, always remember the volley against Hull he hit the bar, I celebrated in the west stand like he bagged. Just due to the fact that he could hit a ball on target

9 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

1: Players that... looked really good but then ended up being utter rubbish

Lee Morris 

2: Players that... looked really utter rubbish but then ended up pleasantly surprising you

:Christian Dailly

:Lee Mills

3: Players that... you were really excited when you heard we signed them but ended up being rather poor

:Martin Kuhl (the midfield general to complete the team!)

: John Harkes

4: Players that... underwhelmed you when you heard they had signed but ended up being far better than expected

Ronnie Willams

20 minutes ago, Maxpowerrules81 said:

1: Players that... looked really good but then ended up being utter rubbish

Lee Morris 

2: Players that... looked really utter rubbish but then ended up pleasantly surprising you

:Christian Dailly

:Lee Mills

:Martin Kuhl (the midfield general to complete the team!)

: John Harkes

4: Players that... underwhelmed you when you heard they had signed but ended up being far better than expected

Ronnie Willams

9 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don't think Kinky was poor, loved watching him play. I remember the 3-3 Sheff Wed game when we were 3-1 down going in to injury time. He came on with 15 mins to go, set up a goal with his first touch and ran the show...not many players could do that...

I loved watching him too just for his fantastic skill on the ball and his passing, but I also remember a Boxing Day game against Grimsby after we had been relegated when he was completely snuffed out by an 18 year old from their youth team, who I believe was called Edwards.

He was a genius, but a flawed genius.

18 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

1: Players that... looked really good but then ended up being utter rubbish

2: Players that... looked really utter rubbish but then ended up pleasantly surprising you

4: Players that... underwhelmed you when you heard they had signed but ended up being far better than expected

My personal offering:

1: Bob Malcolm - from an imperious debut @ Wolves (a) to not knowing which end we were kicking towards. Glenn Skivington as an offering for the teenagers

2: Taribo West - very shaky first couple of games but from the Bradford game on he was the rock our season was built upon

3: Kinky - an enigmatic talent that simply never lived up to expectation, with honourable mention for Derek Hales

4: Marco Gabbiadini - thought he was washed up after his injury and we had bought a dud. I was wrong.

1: Marco Reich

2: Stephen Warnock and Chris Baird

3: Albentosa

4: Scott Carson

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.