Wolves fined £25,000 over team selection

Day

Wolves have been hit with a £25,000 suspended Premier League fine for fielding a weakened team for their 3-0 December defeat at Manchester United.

Boss Mick McCarthy made 10 changes to his side as he sought to rest players for their next match against Burnley.

The tactic was heavily criticised by some fans and observers.

Accepting the ruling, McCarthy said: "It was never my intention to break any rules, only to pick a team that was in the best position to get a result."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wolverhampton_wanderers/8521603.stm

We should of got a £950,000 fine for our Premiership season.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
double standards :mad:

yes but its acceptable, because those teams, are our flag bearers in europe and have to be given the ability to do what they want when they waant, where as other teams, get fined for it.

a bit harsh on wolves i think, but in a day an age where english football is all about staying in the premiership, why not do it, not many teams in the lower half of the table get a result against united at old trafford, makes sense to save your players for a game where you are more likely to get a result.

fans may not like it, but there was some logic in micks thinking

I don't think the Premier League should be able to say who you should and shouldn't play, at the end of the day they were all members of Wolves first team squad, it's not like he stuck the youth team out that day.

What must those players think now? oh so the Premier League doesn't think we good enough to have played against Man Utd?

They only lost 3-0, look how Wigan, Portsmouths and Hull's first team did against United.

Archived