Sacking Managers

Sith Happens

Posted this here as I am really thinking about recent Derby managers, but feel free to move to football if needed but..

In many walks of life if someone is given a 'pay off' to relieve them of duties, it is often stated they cannot get another job in the same type of work for a certain period of time, 6 months etc.

Does anyone know if that applies for football managers too? I know when Billy has been paid off he has stopped out of work for ages, is this a reason why?

So talking Steve going to Newcastle, and potentially Pearson to Wolves, can they walk into those jobs and retain any pay off received ? (I am not in the know and dont know any pay off was agreed but I am assuming so).

Clement was out of work for a while so maybe he got to retain it?

Maybe its how the deal is structured, Manager says I had 3 year contract I want all my money for 3 years, club say we wll give you £1million but you can go about your business and do what you want, or we will pay you £4million but technically still contracted to us so no more jobs for you matey for 3 years?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

A club will never pay more than the value of the contract. It'd be cheaper to have them on gardening leave for the 3 years than pay more. 

No I get that, i just wondered if we or any club does pay it is he allowed to work straight away or have to wait?

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

No I get that, i just wondered if we or any club does pay it is he allowed to work straight away or have to wait?

There isn't any particular standard model for it. It goes on a case by case type of decision. Clubs will generally sack a manager and then instruct their lawyers to get the best possible deal for them in terms of the pay off. The manager obviously then lawyers up and their lawyers fights their corner. 

It isn't as simple as manager sacked, manager paid off. Owners of clubs are usually brutal business men who don't give anything away cheaply. 

The whole not being able to work isn't usually a condition of a pay off, the condition is they will be paid the pay off in instalments until they get another job. So it's the managers choice to either work again or carry on being paid off. 

I can't remember who it was but a manager explained it all in an article I read a few years back. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

There isn't any particular standard model for it. It goes on a case by case type of decision. Clubs will generally sack a manager and then instruct their lawyers to get the best possible deal for them in terms of the pay off. The manager obviously then lawyers up and their lawyers fights their corner. 

It isn't as simple as manager sacked, manager paid off. Owners of clubs are usually brutal business men who don't give anything away cheaply. 

The whole not being able to work isn't usually a condition of a pay off, the condition is they will be paid the pay off in instalments until they get another job. So it's the managers choice to either work again or carry on being paid off. 

I can't remember who it was but a manager explained it all in an article I read a few years back. 

It is usually always done in instalments over the remaining duration of the contract or until the manager gets a new role. If the new role the manager is looking at is better or equally well paid as the job he has been sacked from then he will generally accept that - this is usually the case for more experienced or in demand managers. If the out of work manager is struggling to get another job then or has been in a much better paid role then he is likely to get next then they will sit tight and milk the payments.

If Pearson is offered the Wolves job with the money they now have backing them I'd expect him to take the job and our long term exposure to be reduced - providing a compromise lump sum deal wasn't agreed instead. On the other hand Billy has been sitting back taking the Red Dog dollar as no one else will be stupid enough to pay him what they did and he knows that. Think that has now expired which is why he is starting to be linked to low level jobs again.

Thanks, i did wonder that, so in theory our payments to Steve 1st time, and hopefully Pearson this time will be quite small and hopefully not too impacting for FFP.

Archived