Cheque Books

vicky-27

To be abolished - does anyone care ? does anyone still use them ?

Cheques are to be abolished under controversial plans being drawn up by bankers.

They are widely expected to vote next month for the chequebook to be consigned to history.

Yesterday, the move was criticised by consumer groups, business lobbyists and charities representing the elderly.

They raised fears that vulnerable people, who have relied on their chequebook all their lives, will be left confused.

Many others simply prefer to pay by cheque, instead of by direct debit or bank transfer.

The Payments Council said its research shows the number of cheques being written every day has fallen dramatically in recent years.

At their peak in 1990, around 11million cheques were written every day. Latest figures show the number has dropped to around 3.8million.

Cheques, which were first used in Britain 350 years ago, are also an expensive form of payment for banks.

They cost around £1 each to process, which is four times as much as electronic payments

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use them but I'm starting to use online a lot more.

I don't think it's a good idea to scrap them because some vulnerable people, particularly old people still use them and may be confused. Also, the news might mislead you but there are still lots of people who don't have access to the internet.

To be abolished - does anyone care ? does anyone still use them ?

Cheques are to be abolished under controversial plans being drawn up by bankers.

The Payments Council said its research shows the number of cheques being written every day has fallen dramatically in recent years.

At their peak in 1990, around 11million cheques were written every day. Latest figures show the number has dropped to around 3.8million.

Thats still a bloody lot of cheques a day...

although admittedly i know some teenagers that wouldn't know how to fill out a cheque if their lives depended on it... so its inevitable that one day they will be phased out, just not convinced its time yet!

Archived