Are the tactics to blame?

Day

Looking back on last nights game, we haven't won away all season and was playing a team that is unbeaten in 10 (11 now) games. As a fan I'd like to see us go for the 3 points in every game no matter who we are playing, although a professional football manager no doubt goes into games thinking, a point here would be good, and I must admit I would of took a point before kick off.

Reading aroun the forums this morning the main blame is on the tactics and not the players, were the tactics to blame last night or could it possibly be the players are either a) Low on confidence away from home or B) Total *****. The main problem last night wasn't the tactics it was the 10 outfield players that couldn't pass that big white ball to each other, it wouldn't of mattered how many strikers are on the pitch if we can't pass the ball and create build up play.

Maybe last night blaming Cloughie and the tactics was a tad harsh, once those players cross the white line theres nothing Clough can do other than to make changes, the Connolly on for Stoor still boggles the mind what he was thinking, I can only think he sent Connolly on to sit back and defend the point like fook as Stoor does like to get forward abit more, but thats me clutching at straws as I'm only a armchair fan.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

putting 10 men behind the ball and trying to defend for 90 minutes with a team that cant defend is ridiculous.Its bad tactics alright,and I for one am glad I didnt go,and wont be going to any away games this season at this rate.

This club is in a mess and has been since we were in the premiership

We have played 4-5-1 this season and created more chances and even scored a few, surely the idea of 4-5-1 is to defend but also counter attack using the wingers to support the front man, if the players are struggling with the concept of passing a ball it wouldn't matter what formation we would of played. How can a five man midfield have 33% possession over 90 minutes?

Possession: Swansea 67% Derby 33%

Attempts on target: Swansea 8 Derby 1

Attempts off target: Swansea 6 Derby 0

Corners: Swansea 15 Derby 2

Fouls: Swansea 9 Derby 19

Should also point out that Swansea were also playing 4-5-1 last night, had we gone with just the 4 in midfield we would probably of been mauled in midfield and be sat here today talking about another heavy defeat in Wales.

Swansea did not panic when in possession of the football. How mant times did the commentator say Swansea were not in a hurry to getthe ball forward whilst we seem to want to hoof it up front as soon as we got the ball rather than try and work an opportunity.

I can remember only once in the second half where we did work the ball but teale f'd up the cross

Is that the tactics or the players fault? Clough came here and said he wanted us to play football, now I've not seen many Burton games although apparently he had them playing football. Are these players going into away games that low on confidence and thinking oh crap the ball..hoooooof to Hulse, everytime they get the ball?

Archived