Hatton to return to the ring?

Day

Richard Schaefer told Sky Sports News that Juan Manuel Marquez has already accepted the challenge of fighting Ricky Hatton in Manchester next year.

'The Hitman' looks increasingly likely to step back into the ring with him recently saying he has started to feel the itch again after watching the fighters he promotes in action.

Hatton suffered the second loss of his career in Las Vegas in May with a brutal knockout by Manny Pacquiao, after previously losing to a tenth-round stoppage at the hands of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Hatton Promotions chief executive Gareth Williams has said that if Hatton was to return then a showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez in Manchester next year would be the ideal comeback fight.

Golden Boy Promotions in America agree that a light-welterweight fight between the two would be a great event, and their chief executive Schaefer says that Marquez has already given the idea the green light."Gareth Williams has indicated to me Ricky would like to fight Juan Manuel Marquez," Schaefer said on Sky Sports News.

"I think it would be a great, great all-action showdown so I'm frankly extremely excited if that fight could happen."

Marquez also suffered defeat against Mayweather as he lost a one-sided contest on points, but he would relish the chance to make amends by taking on Hatton in front of his own fans at the City of Manchester Stadium.

"Absolutely, that's what Gareth has mentioned and I have had conversations with Juan Manuel Marquez on Monday here at my offices," Schaefer added about the venue for the proposed fight.

"I have informed him of the possibility of a showdown in England, in Manchester, against Ricky Hatton and he immediately accepted the challenge, accepted the opportunity and would love to come to Manchester."

36-year-old Marquez is a three-weight world champion and the tough Mexican would be a challenging opponent for Hatton to take on in his return to action.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_5703235,00.html

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Hatton's fought the best 2 fighters in the world and lost both times.

Hatton has cherry picked the majority of his opponents.With the exception of Kostya Tsyzu,who was and remains Hattons finest victory.The division was poor and when Hatton stepped up a weight for the first time he (somehow) won on points.Dubious isnt the word.Im a Hatton fan and have watched the vast majority of his fights.The truth as I see it though is he was a better fighter and had a better future when managed by Frank Warren.After he dumped Warren he lost it.As a fan of his I say he fought 2 great fighters and lost to them both....comprehensively,1 very good fighter (Tsyzu) who he beat.The others were run of the mill fighters,who Hatton should beat all the time.And I repeat,Marquez will beat him.

Archived