No more QF FA Cup replays

CumbrianRam

FA Cup quarter-final replays have been scrapped from next season.

The Football Association said the decision was part of its "ongoing review" of the competition and helped to "ease English football's congested fixture schedule".

Semi-final replays were phased out after Manchester United's 1999 victory over Arsenal on their way to winning the treble.

FA chief executive Martin Glenn said the change "adds excitement".

Replays in earlier rounds remain, meaning lower-league clubs will still have the opportunity to earn lucrative second matches against higher-ranked clubs.

Manchester United beat West Ham in a replay in this season's quarter-finals -Marouane Fellaini scoring the winning goal - before going on to lift the trophy in the final at Wembley.

Glenn added: "While fully respecting tradition and history, this new development will help the cup retain its status as a much-loved and world-renowned competition."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36393608

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
8 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Fair enough

Dunno - semis are played in neutral grounds, unless quarters will be too which i doubt. I dont see why it should be any different to any other round.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Dunno - semis are played in neutral grounds, unless quarters will be too which i doubt. I dont see why it should be any different to any other round.

Has final in the name

Sith Happens
Just now, SaintRam said:

Has final in the name

still dont think its fair on the team 'unlucky' enough to be drawn away, if they hold the home team to a draw should get a replay, unless they are going to do these on neutral territory.

I'd have been more inclined to make the semi of the league cup a one off game and play in a neutral ground - that guarantees two less games whereas this doesnt guarantee any less games.

Archived