Stan Collymore what a tw@t!

Day

The Premier League is considered by many to be the best league in the world but I think drastic reform is needed to keep it at the pinnacle.

With the UK’s punitive taxes, we are already starting to see many of the English top-flight’s best talent draining away to the continent.

Just this summer the likes of Ronaldo and Xabi Alonso quit for the La Liga in Spain, where they will earn considerably more money after tax.

And I would actually like to see the Premier League comprised solely of the 20-25 clubs who have been the biggest and most successful sides in modern history.

I think those teams should form the top-flight whether that be Leeds United in the third tier or Newcastle United in the second tier.

And there would be no promotion or relegation which would allow those teams to grow.

Then you would guarantee some of the world’s best derbies, like Sunderland v Newcastle, happening each season as well as other huge games like Leeds against Man United.

It would make a pleasant change from watching some of the smaller clubs in the Premier League in recent times like Reading, Wigan and Bolton.

Fans around the world want to see the huge games - not clashes involving clubs like Barnsley, Watford or Hull.

So I think it really is time that those clubs who have contributed the most over the last 100 years be the flag-bearers for a new Premier League with no promotion or relegation.

That would allow teams to attack without fear because no-one will be relegated.

And it will crucially enable the Premier League to go on to the next level if we are to compete with La Liga and Serie A in Italy.

The Football League would still function if you are a Wigan or a Notts County or a smaller club.

These sides would do what they have done for most of their existence which is play in a league where you have a better chance of winning something.

My main grievance is the reason why the likes of Wigan, Hull and Reading have got into the Premier League.

For the most part it is due to wealthy benefactors who have bought into them because they are cheap investments.

The likes of Reading and Hull are in a big catchment area with potential for the growth and benefactors know if they put in modest sums they could get them within touching distance of the Premier League and turn a huge profit in the value of the club.

So this isn’t a romantic story about clubs developing from within with a view to trying to go and win an FA Cup or title.

This is pure chance taking by people who have seen clubs as a method to get enhance their ego and earnings.

There is little precedent in other sports for the system of meritocracy if you look at the NFL.

They get billions in TV revenue and I think broadcasters would pay even more for the Premier League rights if they knew the biggest clubs and the marquee names would be involved.

There would derbies galore and repeats of famous historical clashes galore.

Most people with the of greatest respect do not tune in to watch Wigan against Hull - they tune in to watch Liverpool versus Chelsea.

So I think we should forget the 39th game and just have the top 25 clubs in the country playing 50 games.

I am salivating dreaming at the thought of it.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/stan-collymore/To-make-the-Premier-League-the-best-get-Leeds-and-Newcastle-back-get-rid-of-small-clubs-and-scrap-relegation-and-promotion-article201025.html#

----------------------------------------------

Should of stuck to what he knows best......dogging.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im going to play devils advocate.

About 6 months ago Collymore discussed this very topic on Talksport.He insisted that both fo**st and Derby should be in the premier league.He said Derby had won two league titles without buying them and have a great fan base.He also joked about the song Derby fans sang to him,and that Derby v fo**st was a bigger fixture than the media gave credit for.

An ex red dog he may be but he aint bad on the radio,he speaks his mind.

Who would you put in the 20-25 tho, and would you want to get a 4-0 thrashing week in week out, season after season?

That wouldn't happen tho... because there would be no relegation, so you'd always get the Premiership Pay Check... so eventually the money would level out in the Prem...

Not saying its a good idea, because its not... its a bloomin ridiculous idea, that would either make the Prem too boring to make money and the Championship would become the new Prem - or it would create too big a divide between the prem and the rest of football.

But then Collymore has never been well known for his intellect... Ask Ulrika.

[sIZE=6]IMO ...[/sIZE]

[sIZE=5]I warn you ...[/sIZE]

[sIZE=4]This will be controversial ...[/sIZE]

The EPL has become hopeless for smaller teams. It is ruined. It is too late. It is almost impossible for promoted teams to compete within it unless there are Arabs at the helm.

I think the top two leagues in England should be called EPL 1 and EPL 2. Each League should consist of 22 teams. There would be less polarisation between the leagues, unlike the massive polarisation between the top of the Premier League and the bottom of the CCC. The model should be based more upon the English Cricket County Championship Divisions. e.g. Derbyshire are an inferior team to Durham and are in a different division however there aren't people in China who wear Durham shirts without knowing who Derbyshire are.

If this should happen, TV rights and revenue should be distributed equally. Though to stop L1, L2, BSq etc from fading into obscurity, teams making as much profit as Man Utd should be taxed by the league into providing money that will be shared amongst the football league.

Sales to TV must include as many football league matches on prime time as EPL matches.

Only one relegation place should exist at the bottom of EPL 1 and EPL 2. While only one promotion spot exist accordingly. Let's face it it's often only one promoted team who has a chance of staying up.

[sIZE=6]IMO ...[/sIZE]

[sIZE=5]I warn you ...[/sIZE]

[sIZE=4]This will be controversial ...[/sIZE]

The EPL has become hopeless for smaller teams. It is ruined. It is too late. It is almost impossible for promoted teams to compete within it unless there are Arabs at the helm.

I think the top two leagues in England should be called EPL 1 and EPL 2. Each League should consist of 22 teams. There would be less polarisation between the leagues, unlike the massive polarisation between the top of the Premier League and the bottom of the CCC. The model should be based more upon the English Cricket County Championship Divisions. e.g. Derbyshire are an inferior team to Durham and are in a different division however there aren't people in China who wear Durham shirts without knowing who Derbyshire are.

If this should happen, TV rights and revenue should be distributed equally. Though to stop L1, L2, BSq etc from fading into obscurity, teams making as much profit as Man Utd should be taxed by the league into providing money that will be shared amongst the football league.

Sales to TV must include as many football league matches on prime time as EPL matches.

Only one relegation place should exist at the bottom of EPL 1 and EPL 2. While only one promotion spot exist accordingly. Let's face it it's often only one promoted team who has a chance of staying up.

I don't think it's controversial. It's a great idea. Something is badly needed to freshen up the stale English Leagues

I'd add a wage cap based on revenue as well. And I'd implement it all over Europe, so we don't end up with a two bob League. Plus a homegrown players rule and stick me fingers up to the EU.

However drastic action might be, there is something that needs to be done to get rid of all these Cockeny Reds oh and er, make the League fairer and make sure teams are financially stable.

i think they should introduce more women into the game !

only when they,ve finished doing the ironing, washing up , mowing the lawn, painting, cooking, shopping, taking the kids to skool,

hoovering, doing the dishes , walking the dog , going to work , satisfying her man, washing the windows,fetching the take aways, fetching beer, emptying the bins, paying the bills , and making sure the old man gets to the pub and back every night,and not to forget weeding too,

then the lazy bathtubs should enrole at college and do some night courses, motor mechanics, plumbing, cookery!, electrical, sewing, first aid (that one will come in handy if she aint done all the above):D

That wouldn't happen tho... because there would be no relegation, so you'd always get the Premiership Pay Check... so eventually the money would level out in the Prem...

Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal just to name four are so far ahead of the rest of the league in setup and financially you would never beable to compete. Those 4 clubs are not just football clubs but global brands, they generate alot money from outside the UK which clubs such as Derby would never beable to match.

If we was bought by the Arabs and they pumped £100 million into the club and signed world class players, in time we would the same way chelsea have gone global since Abramovich's arrival.

The emotions would be taken out of football, as a Derby fan you would know that we are never going to win the league and even if we lose every game in the season, oh well try again next year.

Archived