England in South Africa

Ovis aries

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all his incredible experience Bell should have been one of the first picks in any England team, especially on a tour of this nature. 

But he has consistently failed to deliver now for a long time and it is unfair for him to occupy a place ahead of others - in other words his experience is not offering anything beneficial

His high profile failures at slip also hav'nt done his cause any good. 

At the end of the day the principle that, to be picked, you must be performing at a high level at either batting, bowling or fielding spelt the end of him

4 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

With all his incredible experience Bell should have been one of the first picks in any England team, especially on a tour of this nature. 

But he has consistently failed to deliver now for a long time and it is unfair for him to occupy a place ahead of others - in other words his experience is not offering anything beneficial

His high profile failures at slip also hav'nt done his cause any good. 

At the end of the day the principle that, to be picked, you must be performing at a high level at either batting, bowling or fielding spelt the end of him

Balance averaged 35 in county cricket, not exactly sparkling was it .

18 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

Balance averaged 35 in county cricket, not exactly sparkling was it .

Not saying that Ballance is the answer, but to be fair :

- Young and up-coming and representing the future

- Check out his test record prior to the Ashes

- And offers something else other than batting

So I can see the logic

Lets hear your logical reasons for including Bell other than those of a 'last chance' nature and avoiding reference to 'experience' which clearly has counted for nothing over the last 12-18 months

10 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Not saying that Ballance is the answer, but to be fair :

- Young and up-coming and representing the future

- Check out his test record prior to the Ashes

- And offers something else other than batting

So I can see the logic

Lets hear your logical reasons for including Bell other than those of a 'last chance' nature and avoiding reference to 'experience' which clearly has counted for nothing over the last 12-18 months

Not particularly singling out Balance just saying his form does not leap out at you for selection , hope by the something else you don't mean his leggy bowling :).

He got dropped because he had been "worked out" by the Aussies , if he has sorted himself out then give him another go by all means , personally I would try Taylor or Joe at three.

3 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

Not particularly singling out Balance just saying his form does not leap out at you for selection , hope by the something else you don't mean his leggy bowling :).

He got dropped because he had been "worked out" by the Aussies , if he has sorted himself out then give him another go by all means , personally I would try Taylor or Joe at three.

With you re Taylor - fair point

I'm sad but not totally surprised to see Bell dropped. Its a shame because I love watching him when he's in form, but he's been only decent at best over the last three test series. He was awful against New Zealand, but he picked up when moved to number 3 for the third Ashes test, but then his form fell off a cliff for the final two tests against Australia. Thought he was okay against Pakistan, although I didn't see too much of that series. 

Time for a rest, perhaps. But when Bell is at his best, he's a joy to watch, so I hope he comes back refreshed and confident. 

I think that's his problem. He seemed to be lacking in confidence and over-thinking his shots, especially against Australia, which can be death for a batsman. 

Anyhoo, all England are lacking is a solid opener to partner Cook, a quality spin bowler, and a fit Steve Finn. I like Moeen Ali, but I'm sceptical of him opening the batting, and he's a good but not spectacular bowler. What's happened to England's spin bowling? Where's the new Swann? Its a tragedy that Monty had so many personal issues and has now effectively disappeared. 

I'd move Root to three and give him a few tests to settle there. 

Archived