Call me Motherwell Football Club

Day

A diehard fan has shocked his family and friends by changing his name by deed poll to Motherwell Football Club.

Frazer Boyle, 20, from Coltness, North Lanarkshire, has been a regular at Fir Park since he was nine.

He paid £33 last week to legally swap his birth name and has sent off for a new driving licence and passport as Mr Motherwell Football Club.

The student's mother, Hazel, 45, said she had overcome her initial shock and was fine "as long as he was happy".

Mr Motherwell Football Club said there had been a mixed reaction to his name change.

"I have been Motherwell daft since my grandfather started taking me to the games when I was only nine," he said.

"I am the only Motherwell fan in the house so I don't think anyone understands why I did it.

"My girlfriend isn't too bothered but I'm not sure if she'd be happy maybe being known as Mrs Motherwell Football Club eventually."

Frazer's mother Hazel Boyle said she was shocked when she heard about her son's new name.

"When Frazer first said to me I thought he was kidding on, I was ready to give him a clip around the ear," she said.

"He is Motherwell daft and has already been to France and Wales in the past year to watch them; I think that is punishment enough.

"As long as he is happy that is the main thing."

'Passionate' fan

Keith Craine, who runs Motherwell fan's message board Steelmen Online, praised Frazer for his dedication to the 'Well.

He said: "Frazer is just one of many Motherwell fans who are passionate about the club.

"He travelled abroad with 3,000 other loyal fans last year and good on him for finding a new way to support the Steelmen.

"When word got out about this he got a bit of a slagging but I'm sure they secretly admire his nerve."

A spokesman for UK Deed Poll service said: "We think it's a good idea and we are always happy to help people change their names to a football club or celebrity.

Scottish procedure

"We are reaching 50,000 name changes this year and some are weird and wonderful."

In Scotland individuals can change their name without using the Deed Poll Service.

People can choose to be known by a different name at any time, provided they do not intend to deceive or defraud.

Once a new name has been decided, it can be used freely, although evidence will usually be required for most official purposes.

Change of names can be recorded officially with the Registrar General.

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8286672.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/8286672.stm

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived