Alonso's Ferrari move 'on'

Day

Fernando Alonso's much-rumoured move to Ferrari in 2010 appears set to be announced at the Japanese Grand Prix this weekend.

Speculation has been rife in the paddock that the Spaniard will replace Kimi Raikkonen next year, and Alonso implied an agreement was already in place following his podium pinish in Singapore on Sunday.

"I don't think the podium changes the decision on who I drive for next season," he said after finishing third for his beleaguered Renault team.

"I have taken the decision already - you will know soon."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has also been quoted as saying he would like to make a formal announcement as soon as possible.

However, any deal for Alonso will be subject to Raikkonen's release from the final year of his contract, which lawyers are currently working on.

"I think that as soon as we are ready we will let you know," Domenicali said. "We don't want to wait too long."Alonso is poised to team up with Felipe Massa in 2010 although Domenicali insists the Brazilian has not given up hope of returning this year despite suffering life-threatening injuries in the summer.

Massa has been out of action since being suffering skull fractures and a brain concussion during qualifying for June's Hungarian GP.

"He is doing every day a check with his doctor, but not an official medical check," Domenicali said.

Asked whether Massa could return before the end of the campaign, Domenicali added: "It is too early to say that. We need to see it step-by-step, and we don't have to anticipate anything.

"He will be back 100 percent but there is no need to anticipate anything if there is something that is not ready.

"I don't want to exclude anything, but we need to be cautious."

[url=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_5589036,00.html]http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_5589036,00.html

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived