EU & Euro spot of bother

Wolfie

Yoghurts, Women ?

well that's the idea, I bet property is cheap in Greece ?

I wouldn't touch property, ever.  I had a colleague who bought a 3 bed villa in Spain a few years back (and unsurprisingly were tying to offload), as a sort of joke I offered £25K knowing they'd reject it, it was worth about £50k at the time. They scoffed. Last I heard they had it up for sale at 40,000 euros!

On a serious note, too many horror stories of expats buying abroad with their homes being built without proper planning permission and being bulldozed and other such like disasters. Not for me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

More typical EU talk from Juncker on the migrant crisis, taken from:

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/global-europe/immigrant-crisis-causes-outcry-europe-316816

Juncker calls for solidarity and warns against populism

The President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, called on EU leaders not to be influenced by populist rhetoric in their responses to the unfolding drama.

“There are times in politics when you must not follow the populists, otherwise you will end up becoming a populist yourself. But the voters, attracted by the simplistic arguments of the populists, will still vote for the populists,” the Commission president warned. “We have to counter what they say; we cannot allow ourselves to be blinded by the populist thinking that is present in all our countries.”

Jean-Claude Juncker said he was “disappointed” by the resistance EU member states had shown when the principle of solidarity was put to the test. EU governments agreed last month to resettle 22,504 refugees from Syrian camps, but interior ministers could not agree on plans to share out a further 40,000 asylum seekers, in order to relieve the burden from centres in Greece and Italy, where services are already overwhelmed by the number of arrivals.

I mean, seriously? These guys think democracy is populism, hear it all the time in their speeches. They have a problem with the electorate. FWIW I think the EU migrant crisis is another car crash European policy heading for disaster. Bankrupt Greece drowning in migrants while the EU effectively encourages the smugglers to keep it up.

Archived