Derby: A City of Sport

AmericanRam

From the DET:

DERBY, city of sport!

Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? And I reckon we could live up to it.

Last week I was at a meeting which gathered together those with an interest in sport in Derby.

They included a couple of our heroes: former Rams star Michael Johnson and Olympic swimmer Ross Davenport, as well as administrators of cricket, cycling and running.

There were also representatives of sponsors and those who manufacture sports equipment.

The meeting took place at Bikeworks, a venue for folk who want to leave bikes after cycling into the city. It also offers equipment from companies"http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1" alt="icon1"> such as Moorelarge, which produces bike frames and employs 130 people.

Its products will also be available to rent at the new Arena Derby when it opens in the new year.

Much of the conversation surrounded the possibilities for Derby following the opening of the velodrome. It was suggested that those involved in sport should come together to create a wider buzz about the city.

We explored this and realised just how much is already going on.

Obviously, we have Derby County

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you could get the people behind it but I wonder if we have sufficient profile (other than in football) or venues to host large events and to engage with the world outside the area. This said I think it worth giving it a damn good crack regardless of what the detractors way when they inevitably come out of the woodwork

I think you could get the people behind it but I wonder if we have sufficient profile (other than in football) or venues to host large events and to engage with the world outside the area. This said I think it worth giving it a damn good crack regardless of what the detractors way when they inevitably come out of the woodwork

Good points there mate.  I think it would be good for Derby in terms of exposure and revenue for the city as well.  However, as you say not everyone agrees with that.

Archived