Celtic move for Martinez

Day

Celtic have made an official approach for Swansea boss Roberto Martinez, according to the Championship club's chairman Huw Jenkins.

The Glasgow side are looking for a new manager following the departure of Gordon Strachan at the end of the SPL season.

A number of names have been linked with the vacant role but Martinez was not among the favourites to succeed Strachan.

However, Jenkins claims that Celtic have now requested permission to speak with the Spaniard.

"I had a call off their chief executive [Peter Lawwell] making me aware that they'd like to talk to Roberto," said Jenkins.

"Like I've always done I refused that until I've spoken to Roberto myself and talked things through."

Martinez is currently on holiday in Ibiza but is expected back in Britain by the middle of the week.

The 35-year-old is regarded as one of the finest young coaches in the business after making a big impression during his two seasons in charge at the Liberty Stadium.

He steered the club to promotion from League One in his first year at the helm before Swansea came close to a Championship play-off spot in 2008/9.

Martinez had also been connected with Wigan before news surfaced of Celtic's interest, with current Latics boss Steve Bruce in talks with Sunderland

[url=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5358272,00.html]http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5358272,00.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think Swansea will struggle without Martinez, he has turned them into one of the best footballing sides in the Championship and if he goes North of the border I wouldn't be surprised if he took there star players with him including Bodde.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say he gets Swansea into the Premiership, what would there realistic target be in the Premiership?

He can go to Celtic win the SPL and manage in the Champions League, allbeit until they knocked out in the first two rounds. After a few seasons a bigger Premiership club will look to lure him back to England or a La Liga club.

Archived