Youth Recruitment - A Huge Positive

Alex W

Man utd,Chelsea,Man Citeh, Liverpool,and Arsenal are all able to attract the best British and irish youth as well as poaching the best from Europe and certain African countries. If it was as easy as the OP suggests then these clubs would never have to buy another expensive Carlos Kickaball again.

The truth is its not easy and is in fact a pile ******. Its just a sop to gullible Derby fans to keep them from asking those awkward little questions like

Why can't we compete with Huddersfield and Brighton?

Why do we get spanked by Peterboro ( average gate 6,000)

If we ever get promoted to the top division again with a team made up of home grown talent, developed entirely from our academy, then i will run the whole length of Dairy House Rd. wearing nothing but a forest shirt and a traffic cone on my head.

Yes you can hold me to that.

A healthy academy - what’s not to like?...

...but I’d be much happier if our positive youth policy was part of a coherent overall strategy to get us promoted. Trouble is, other than cost cutting and waiting for FFP to ‘kick in’, it seems to be the only strategy.

It’s true that no one can be 100% sure that FFP won’t work dramatically in our favour. No one can be 100% certain we won’t unearth a string of young players who’ll fund the club to promotion. But it all seems very unlikely.

Given that I tend to agree with you. But not with the running about naked bit of course. I don’t hold with that kind of nonsense 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mellow:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man utd,Chelsea,Man Citeh, Liverpool,and Arsenal are all able to attract the best British and irish youth as well as poaching the best from Europe and certain African countries. If it was as easy as the OP suggests then these clubs would never have to buy another expensive Carlos Kickaball again.

The truth is its not easy and is in fact a pile ******. Its just a sop to gullible Derby fans to keep them from asking those awkward little questions like

Why can't we compete with Huddersfield and Brighton?

Why do we get spanked by Peterboro ( average gate 6,000)

If we ever get promoted to the top division again with a team made up of home grown talent, developed entirely from our academy, then i will run the whole length of Dairy House Rd. wearing nothing but a forest shirt and a traffic cone on my head.

Yes you can hold me to that.

You appear to have missed the point.

I do not expect a side of home grown talent, what we can expect though from atleast this level is every year or two for a player to come through with atleast a back-up squad role for the first team. The top teams cannot create a whole side each year with their youth sides, no. But we are alot further down the quality scale and as such players don't have to be at a Man United level to play for us, simply useful within the Championship.

If we continue to focus on improving our already decent youth academy we will have a steady enough stream of players coming through, and not just from Derbyshire/Notts if we continue to try and branch out to improve our youth academy connections.

I am not trying to de-tract from the financial situation (and losing to Brighton is no shame considering the financial clout they've had recently) but having such a youth academy and branching out to bring un such promising players can only be a good thing, particularly when we're clearly not going to be getting a whad of cash thrown at the manager anytime soon.

Any system that'll produce players for us more regularly, cheaply, and possibly then seeing one or two sold on lucratively if we strike lucky, is a huge positive.

Also, have you seen Middlesborough's side in recent times? Half the side has been produced through their youth system, they don't have to be monumental talents to get into a Championship side. That's the point, bring through brighter championship talents more often and considering the level of football and the talent of player provided, this system could be very productive in terms of levelling the gap between us and the big spenders, one way or another.

Not that I expect this to be a 100% certain thing, of course not, but it's certainly improving our chances.

I think it is the right way forward, alongside a smattering of older players within the team we can continue to develop talent. No team can any longer splash the cash and be guaranteed premiership survival let alone anything better.... Bring the young boys on and see where we get to...

Archived