Tsunami 1 year on.

ladyram

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant to ask Rok - you live in Kansas, what's known as being in 'Tornado Alley' - that must be bloody scarey sometimes? And back on topic of natural disasters, how's the affected areas of Katrina coming along in terms of rebuilding? That must have been South East of where you are?

I meant to ask Rok - you live in Kansas, what's known as being in 'Tornado Alley' - that must be bloody scarey sometimes? And back on topic of natural disasters, how's the affected areas of Katrina coming along in terms of rebuilding? That must have been South East of where you are?

To be sure. I've cleaned up a ton of places after towns have been demolished. Greensburg was wiped off the map a few years ago, so was Chapman. A town just south of where I live now for college got wiped out just a week or two ago. Joplin, Missouri right on the Missouri-Kansas border by my hometown was obliterated this summer out of nowhere. Those are just examples of entire towns getting destroyed, not counting the smaller incidents. Tornados are random acts; the smallest, least dangerous looking storm will produce monsters out of nowhere. Been in one or two, hunkered down in a basement. Yeah, no fun at all.

Katrina hit to the southeast of me in Louisiana and Mississippi. The 9th ward of New Orleans is still hardly properly rebuilt. There's still a ton of Fema trailers that the government is now trying to force people out of. Mississippi has recovered more or less, but Louisiana has never entirely recovered from it. Their government has bundled it up with corruption and red tape.

Crikey, that must be terrifying to experience. Thankfully occurences like that don't happen over here but I'd like to think everyone would chip in and try and help others, in true Brit fashion. It sounds like you've had your hands full Rok, good on you for helping out. I saw an episode of Extreme Makeover & Ty helped out to build a community centre I think it was, it may have been in New Orleans?

Make sure your cellar - oops, I mean basement is secure!!

Archived