When pranks go too far......

derbydan

AN urgent police probe has been launched after a woman claimed she was knocked unconscious and BURIED ALIVE by two fellow council workers.

Cemetery staff are accused of carrying out the morbid prank in which they put her in an open grave.

When she finally came round she had to call for help on her mobile phone because she was unable to climb out of the 6ft deep burial pit.

The alleged victim was so stunned by the morbid stunt she had to be taken to hospital and treated for shock.

Northumberland cops have confirmed two men, aged 51 and 47, have been arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

A cemetery source said in Berwick said: "What we've heard is shocking.

"Apparently the woman was stuck in the grave and had to call for help because it was so deep.

"I heard there had been some sort of argument with the gravediggers but I don't know what it's about.

"I'm glad the woman was OK, but I can understand why she was so shaken. It must have been a horrible feeling being stuck in that grave."

Northumberland County Council refused to give more details about the complaint.

The attack allegedly took place at Tweedmouth Cemetery at 8.10am last Monday.

The suspects remain on police bail.

A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "The woman was uninjured but left shaken and was taken to Berwick General Hospital as a precautionary measure.

"A 51-year-old man and a 47-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and have been released on police bail. Enquiries are ongoing."

Andy Rutherford, head of highways and neighbourhood services at Northumberland County Council, said: "We can confirm that an incident took place in the cemetery.

"The welfare of our staff is paramount and we are co-operating fully with police during their investigations."

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived