Davies to think over Forest future after play-off defeat

Day

BILLY Davies today refused to commit his long-term future to Nottingham Forest after a remarkable season came to a disappointing end with play-off heartbreak at the City Ground.

The Scot would not confirm that he would still be manager of the club following the summer after seeing Blackpool claim a 4-3 win on the night – 6-4 on aggregate – to earn a place at Wembley.

Disappointed Davies – who has frequently voiced his frustration over several behind-the-scenes issues in recent weeks – felt Forest paid the price for the youthful nature of the squad, as Ian Holloway's side showed the greater composure on a dramatic night.

And, significantly, when asked if he would still be in charge next season, Davies said that he 'had some thinking to do'.

"I have got some thinking to do and some conversations to have," he said.

"I am very proud of what we have achieved this season. I thank the players, I thank the staff and I thank the fans.

"It has been a great education and experience. But now we will go away and rest, think and chat.

"Then we will see what happens. I am not after assurances from anybody, I just want to evaluate the season."

Forest chairman Nigel Doughty said the club are fully supportive of the manager continuing in his role next season.

But Davies added: "At the end of the day, I have got a contract. I have two years left to run on that. But it is the end of the season and I will sit down and evaluate."

Davies felt the play-offs were a step too far for his players, following a tough season.

"The play-offs came at the wrong time for us. It is a shame we could not play them at the end of December when we were free flowing and balanced," he said. "We had round pegs in round holes at that time.

"But this is a young side that still has progression to make; that did not have the bravery required.

"They showed their age. Their decision making was not good at times. It showed in the second half.

"People laughed at me when I said they were not ready. It is great signing young players but you can't have your cake and eat it.

"With young players comes immaturity. And we had a big freeze here.

"Players who have played very well this season did not perform, they did not show courage.

"We had 20 clean sheets but just did not handle it.

"Blackpool played some good football, to give them credit. But did we not make some mistakes and shoot ourselves in the foot?

"I can't be critical of these players however, because they have given us everything this season."

http://www.thisisnottinghamforest.co.uk/news/Davies-think-Forest-future/article-2145784-detail/article.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This man has no idea of loyalty.How can he command loyalty from his players when he continually questions his own future.He has 2 years to run on his contract at notts scum.His future there shouldnt be in question.He is doing a good job there,surely he wants to continue that?

He does this at every club he manages,does well then orchestrates his own removal,whilst blaming everybody else bar himself.Personally I dont care if he stays there or not,I would like him to come back to Pride Park though to get more stick.And as for his puppet kelly....dont start me on that pr1ck.

Archived