Anderson signs 2 year deal

Day

Russell Anderson has pledged his long-term future to Derby County by signing a new two-year contract with the Rams.

The 31-year-old Scottish international central defender was being chased by a host of Championship Clubs, with his short-term deal set to expire at the end of the season.

Derby County have moved decisively to secure his signature.

Anderson joined Derby in January after leaving Premier League Sunderland and had to wait patiently until early March before breaking into Nigel Clough's side.

Since then Anderson hasn't looked back and has started the Rams' last eight matches, forming a solid partnership at the heart of the defence alongside Shaun Barker.

During that time Derby have kept four clean sheets, which have proved to be pivotal in the Rams retaining their Championship status for next season.

He also opened his goal scoring account for the Rams last weekend, opening the scoring in the 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace.

And despite strong interest from other Championship sides after a string of fine displays, Anderson sees his future firmly with Derby County.

Manager Nigel Clough said: "This is the perfect start to what is going to be an important summer of recruitment.

"Russell has proved his quality at this level and will have a big part to play in our squad for the new season and beyond.

"He is the exact type of character we are looking for; a strong personality who is determined and committed.

"We have had to act quickly to beat off competition from other Championship sides, but we were always confident of securing his future."

Anderson himself commented: "I'm delighted to get my future secure here at Derby County for two more years.

"I've really enjoyed my time with Derby; it is a great club with fantastic support and I can't wait for next season already.

"The Gaffer and the club gave me a chance to play first-team football again and I am determined to repay them with my performances on the pitch."

Anderson began his career north of the border with Aberdeen before moving south to join Sunderland in 2007.

Injuries restricted his appearances and he enjoyed loan spells at Burnley and Plymouth Argyle before departing the Stadium of Light earlier this year.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2030187,00.html

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been pretty solid alongside Barker since making his first start, although he is Scottish and only started 26 league games in the last 4 seasons so I'm sure you'l both get on like a house on fire.

let the games begin----------

i bet he,s got a fat over weighted cousin playin footy for some poor team who,s coughing over 10k a week for the lump to eat melton mowbray pork pies, cheese n onion crisps, kfc, big macs pukka pies , wimpys, pure lard sarnies, whilst sat at home playing x box and laughing his tits off every time the boss phones and his mrs replies, im sorry but he,s too poorly to come to the phone right now

lets just hope anderson (even though he,s another jock ) has a little more pride than the sponging free loading fat over weighed jock international(ha ha ha i could play for scotland) and actually strings a few games together next season .

the jury is out on him at the moment ,

but im waiting mwahahahahahaha

lets hope next season we see the best of our defence, mid field , attack,

and we have to worry that we make the play-offs and not be looking over our shoulder at the 3 teams below us again.

give nige some decent transfer funds and lets see what he can really do!

You could be right, could be following in someones footsteps, "you build from the back"

yep reckon so, we have looked pretty dam solid at the back with him and barker there. in jay macs pulling in some half decent performances of late

i even think we have decent strikers.

bu that midfield...well the less said about it the better, at times they look like they have never passed a football, or played with the other players

Archived