Varney - Championship player of the month

Day

Sheffield Wednesday's on-loan striker Luke Varney has been crowned the Handley Brown Player of the Month for March.

The 27-year-old was a regular fixture in Alan Irvine's side throughout the month, appearing in all but one game - the Derby County clash, in which he was ineligible to play under the terms of the loan deal with his parent club.

In a busy month, where Wednesday lost just once at promotion-chasing West Brom, Varney netted two vital goals to bolster the Owls' chances of survival.

A late strike against Watford sealed a dramatic 2-1 victory and then just days later at Coventry, the frontman was on the scoresheet again, capping a superb solo effort with a clever finish from an acute angle.

Varney claimed the award with nearly 50 per cent of the vote, ahead of skipper Darren Purse and Eddie Nolan who rounded off the top three.

And he expressed his delight when speaking exclusively to Wednesday Player:

"I'm obviously delighted. It's a great accolade through what was a busy month for everyone at the club.

"I was over the moon to get a few goals but overall it has been a great team effort. It was nice to get the late goal against Watford and even more important in what was a six-pointer for us."

He added: "I think the goal against Coventry just shows how much confidence I'm playing with at the moment. I'm really enjoying my football and long may that continue for the rest of the season."

The March vote was as follows:

1. Luke Varney 50 per cent

2. Darren Purse 17 per cent

3. Eddie Nolan 10 per cent

Thanks to all the supporters who took the time to vote.

http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10304~2012383,00.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be win win for us,keeps this up and maybe sheff wed or someone else may bid for him.

He could come back full of confidence and be like a new signing.

Anyone fancy a part exchange for that Tommy Spurr?

Been saying this for ages I'm sure if you look back the majority on here said he was just ***** and was given a chance. Hopefully his performances have alerted a few clubs that will make a bid for him in the summer it's obvious Clough doesn't rate him so it's pointless keeping him on the bench when his value has possibly risen.

Been saying this for ages I'm sure if you look back the majority on here said he was just ***** and was given a chance. Hopefully his performances have alerted a few clubs that will make a bid for him in the summer it's obvious Clough doesn't rate him so it's pointless keeping him on the bench when his value has possibly risen.

I agree his value must have risen? wounder y Nc doesnt rate him though when he can c he's scoring goals

Would of thought we'd get between 500k - 750k, can't see us recouping the money Jewell paid for him. I guess Clough just doesn't like his face, annoys me that we loan a player to a club in a similar position to ourselves with no recall option, 9 goals he's got for Wednesday now on the left wing and what are we missing? goals from midfield.

Would of thought we'd get between 500k - 750k, can't see us recouping the money Jewell paid for him. I guess Clough just doesn't like his face, annoys me that we loan a player to a club in a similar position to ourselves with no recall option, 9 goals he's got for Wednesday now on the left wing and what are we missing? goals from midfield.

Seems the norm for dcfc!

Archived