Martin Albrechtsen interview

CumbrianRam

Nicked from the DET

"I'm not angry with Nigel Clough or anyone else with the club," Martin Albrechtsen says. "Derby thought I was too expensive to keep and so they let me go. That's it. Maybe I should've stayed with West Bromwich instead of signing with the Rams but I can't do it over so I don't think about it and I hold no grudge."

Tough Nigel

Martin may not be angry with Derby's manager Nigel Clough but he isn't too impressed with the way the gaffer deals with the players. In Martin's opinion he sometimes takes it out on certain players to a degree that is too unfair to even a football pro.

"Nigel can be hard, almost foul at times. At half time and after matches he tends to pin down the one or two players whom he thinks have been the weakest link in the last match and he does this in a very harsh fashion. This isn't necessarily the right way to bring out the best in the players.

"One could say Nigel lacks a little in his man management but is fully capable in the other aspects of the game. And you have to understand his name doesn't make his seat any less hot than others!"

So Martin isn't angry at all. In fact, he is kind, considerate and calm.

No regrets

"First and foremost, I have no regrets. I signed with Derby because I hoped I would be a part of the club's next promotion. Derby are a big club with a great crowd and superb facilities so I actually thought we would bounce back immediately. We were far from bouncing back, very far indeed, but that's life. There is nothing to regret.

"We got off real bad last season and the players didn't really blend well before we beat Sheffield United 1:0. After that I think it got better without ever getting real good.

"Unfortunately I was injured twice after a good run in the start of the season. I wasn't really playing again until the latter part and then I never got it going. I shouldn't have pushed so hard to get fit but I was eager to return and I really wanted to prove my worth to the fans and the club. But I wasn't satisfied with neither my own nor the team's play in the last 10-12 matches. Luckily, we didn't go down."

The Derby future

"Financially Derby seem to be preparing for a stay outside the Prem. The club's ambitions are lowering, or getting more realistic, which probably is wise. Quite many football clubs are economically under pressure these days and I guess it's no different for Derby. "But Derby still have a decent side. With players like Hulse, Davies and Commons you don't go down. If they could stay fit for once, that is.

"But I hope they make it and return to the Prem someday soon. We actually enjoyed staying there and remember, it wasn't my decision to leave Derby, it was Derby's decision to let me go."

Yes, Martin desired to stay but Derby let him go. Martin and his wife then decided to go back to Denmark.

New beginnings

"Now I've signed with FC Midtjylland, a prosperous club in heart of Jutland, and I'm very pleased with that. We're beginning to climb up the table after a somewhat unfortunate start of the season - which isn't new to me ..."

Martin laughs. He's got a point. He started his career on the top winning both the Danish cup and the Danish championship twice before joining West Bromwich back in 2004. But since then he's battled more against relegation than pushing for promotion or honors and titles and he's not even in the fringe of the international side.

"Some ask me if I dream of being an international again; others if I'm back in Danish football for good. I don't know for sure but I'm turning 30, I have a family now and I have already experienced a lot so I'm just concentrating on doing the best I can today and not on what may happen tomorrow.

"Among others I have won the Danish double with FC Copenhagen, I've been capped four times, and I was a part of the West Bromwich Premier League side that miraculously saved themselves from relegation back in 2005. I have already experienced more than most footballers ever do.

"But I suppose we're back for good and I don't think I'll be recalled for Denmark. I focus mainly on doing the best I can for my new club, hoping to impress my new manager and the club's supporters and getting the club fully clear of the relegation zone.

"In other words, I'm not less focused on my football or my goals but I'm probably more realistic. And in a four weeks time my wife will give birth to our third child. It could be the right time to stop travelling."

Wrapping up

Martin couldn't live up to the Derby legacy of fellow Dane Jacob Laursen but mostly he did alright last season. Compared to his colleagues in the Rams' defense he actually did a very good job. But his weekly wage got in the way of a second season in black and white.

"If you call me again in a six months time we can wrap up the season. As I said I'm pretty convinced that Derby won't go down, and I'm quite sure Nigel Clough has a long line but a week is a long time in football, let alone six months, so there are some exciting times ahead."

Hopefully not too exciting. I could do with a season in the middle of the table. I guess Martin could as well. He started on top and ended up fighting against relegation. Wonder why Derby didn't realize this is simply the kind of player we need these days ...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Financially Derby seem to be preparing for a stay outside the Prem. The club's ambitions are lowering, or getting more realistic, which probably is wise. Quite many football clubs are economically under pressure these days and I guess it's no different for Derby. "But Derby still have a decent side. With players like Hulse, Davies and Commons you don't go down. If they could stay fit for once, that is.

- sounds about right to be fair :rolleyes:

Archived