Clough is concerned and rightly so

Day

Derby County manager Nigel Clough has admitted he is concerned by his side's start to the Championship season.

Saturday's 4-2 home defeat by QPR left the Rams 19th in the table, just four points clear of the bottom three, with 14 points from their opening 14 games.

Clough told BBC Radio Derby: "We have to be concerned when you are in the bottom six and losing games.

"We are still clinging on to the hope when everybody is fit we think we can get a side out to compete."

Derby will be without Jay McEveley for six weeks with a fractured cheekbone, while Kris Commons has a hamstring injury. Shaun Barker is also out of action with a thigh strain.

"Until they are fit we need to get anything we can, grab a point, a 0-0," Clough said. "We need to scrap for anything and get a few points in the bag until the lads come back."

Clough had praise for the Rams' supporters who he felt stuck with his team despite Saturday's result.

"I didn't think their reaction was too bad after they had just seen us concede four goals at home," added Clough. "I thought generally throughout the game they were magnificent.

"We were getting out-bossed at home which is frustrating anyway and I think they were very good to us."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/8326628.stm

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived