Season review.

Seeing as I'm bored and trying to stay awake for the boxing I thought I'd give my review of the season as well as a player-by-player review.

Obviously it was a disappointing season in the end.In terms of playing stile, I've never got the impression this team was ever fully confident in itself. The only time I ever saw us beat a team truly into submission was Wolves at home. (I'm not counting Blackpool a few weeks ago). We have lacked a real leader on the field all season and it has shown.

In terms of transfers:

We hedged our bets as a club on the man with the best hair in the world coming in to defensive midfield and being the ball-playing general. When that goes tits up we were very much behind the 8 ball. Thorne's injury was unfortunate but you can't use that as an excuse. We had plenty of time to find new systems and players and we failed. I like Omar Mascarell as a player, his dead balls are nice and he can play. Having said that. He is never going to e a success in the Championship at defensive midfield. Cyrus Christie came in as a replacement for one of the best defenders in the division last year. I was worried at the time and it turned out to be a poor acquisition. He may well come good but you cannot expect a player to jump from league 1 and then slot in at right back for a team with promotion aspirations. I quite like the signing of Ryan Shotton but for some reason we did not see much of him on a regular basis. 

We then reached January and signed Albentosa and did't play him regularly. The other loan signings did well, Lingaard not as influential as I'd have liked but then again he did not have a regular run in the team.

In terms of players: (I'm doing the players who have played regularly)

Grant: His shotstopping is tremendous but he has serious shortcomings in other aspects of his game. I've heard he's been playing injured all seasons so perhaps that offers mitigation. He struggles with catching and his distribution since he came back from injury has been particularly poor. He makes too many basic errors. You could argue that it is a consequence of the team not protecting him but his desire to punch rather than catch is concerning. I didn't appreciate how good Butland was until Grant came back in.

Forsyth: Disappointing season for him, his delivery into the box hasn't been particularly good and he has a habit of playing passes without looking up. This has cost us goals. 

Keogh: I'm not a fan, he's a decent defender at this level but he is too frenetic, too error prone and not the leader you need at the back. I've never seen a player roast teammates as much as him (even when the error was his own) He played better recently but I'll never be convinced. The lack of a consistent partner at the back can't have helped him. Should have been dropped, did not deserve to be unimpeachable.

Buxton: In and out all season with injuries. Still think he's our best centre half. He's solid and I think that he is our best defender demonstrates the lack of talent we have at the back.

Christie: Started well but tailed off when teams found him out. Don't let him run past you, make him turn inside and he'll stop his run and the momentum of the attack dies. He's not yet good enough for this level.

Shotton: Better in the middle than RB. He did not get a consistent run enough. I like him as a player though.

Albentosa: What's the point in signing him if you aren't going to play him and instead leave him on the bench and play a left back there. He looks solid.

Warnock: Meh

Hughes: Had a good season but has struggled recently as he's been the only midfielder dictating play, teams know they can stifle him and in the game. Hope he stays for another season but if someone offers daft money can we turn it down?

Hendrick: So disappointing. He always wants to bomb on and has very little nuance to his game. 

Bryson: Hardly played since November. Wasn't able to impose himself on games and we missed his goals. 

Mascarell: Not a CDM in England. Would have loved to have seen him at CM with Hughes.

Eustace: Just does the dirty work. Like him as a player but think we've seen the last of him now. 

Ward: Not a great season. In and out of the team because of injuries or form. He has no pace anymore and therefore can't beat the quicker full backs in the league. 

Ibe: Wish Liverpool hadn't taken him back

Dawkins: He's a solid backup but he hasn't shown much this season to suggest otherwise. He can't finish but he controls the ball well.

Russell: Injuries and inconsistency have cost him this season. Still think he's had a good year in general.

Lingaard: Not played enough to impose himself on the team. Clearly a talented player and was often wasted on the bench.

Ince: If it wasn't for him we'd have been mid-table. Serious talent.

Bent: Same as ince in terms of him saving us.

Martin: Top 3 centre forward in the league. His absence shows how good and how vital he is.

McClaren

Would have liked to have heard him either say: "If an offer comes in I'll consider it" or "I will not be joining Newcastle". I feel let down that he did not but I don't buy it as an excuse like some people are. I think his main issues have been his poor summer signings, we knew the defence was suspect and it wasn't strengthened. He should have dropped Keogh but did not. I admire him standing by a player but other players were dropped for doing less bad things than Keogh has. 

Summation

Team was not adequately strengthened in defensive positions. We stuck with some players in the team for too long and it has cost us. It was the most appalling collective capitulation I have seen from a professional sports team in some time. I think there has to be a significant change in personnel in the summer. Not necessarily a fire sale but certainly a changed in the quality of the defence. If McClaren goes I won't be devastated as long as we get a good replacement. I think in Sam Rush we have someone who is not stupid and therefore the potential manager hunt does not concern me. I doubt we will see a mass departure of key playing staff. At the end of the day the team finished eighth. Such a disappointing season and we can only hope that next year we face a 46 game marathon with less nativity and greater resolve and ability.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived