Any chilli heads around?

eddie

Went to Portugal in the summer , we had some pan fried prawns in garlic butter , then the waiter said " would you like some Piri Piri sauce ?

So i said yes , jeeeezzz that was warm , dont know what chillies were in it but you could see them floating around !

Was about as hot as i could handle and enjoy ! I wonder how many Scoville heat units it was ?

The Piri Piri chilli is the African Bird's Eye. Not sure on the Scoville units because even Nandos market around 4 or 5 different Piri Piri sauces ranging from 'mild' to 'extra extra hot' and of course in Portugal, Piri Piri is a generic term for chilli. It's all good.

Looking at the website it looks like he has a shop now?

Yes, it's a permanent indoor market shop - St Nicholas' Market on Corn Street, Brizzle.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think of the sound of this one Eddie? I thought it was better not to use olive oil as it can go off?

Works great but it has a shelf life of around 6 weeks and flavour will peak after 1 week.

For Garlic Peri-Peri sauce:

16 tablespoons of olive oil (regular) or vegetable oil.

5 tablespoons of garlic power

3 lemons - squeeze the juice out.

2 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper (optional)

1 tablespoon of cider vinegar

12-18 thai chilli - cut up (medium heat; 24 up for high heat)

For Garlic, Herb & Lemon:

Add the following:

1 tablespoon of green parsley (optional)

1 tablespoon of green coriander (optional)

Mix up the above and put into a blender. Blend until completely liquidised. Add the optional item if you are wanting the Nando's Lemon & Herb; .

Pour into a bottle and refrigerate.

Perfect as a marinade or a nandos replacement sauce. Results are guaranteed to please peri-peri affectionados.

Archived