"Wow, you've got to admire their movement off the ball"

Duracell

Tell you what is wrong with British football. We think moving about a bit is some magical piece of skill that only foreigners can do. When Team GB played last night, the commentators were noticing the difference in movement off the ball between us and the UAE.

Sorry, but what, precisely, is so difficult about moving about? The easy part of football is using two legs in alternate movements so as to move around the pitch. The difficult part is kicking the ball.

So why, exactly, do we think in this country that movement off the ball is tricky? Why, out of all the brilliant points to Spain's game, do we think that just moving around a bit to find a little bit of space is something that's incredible?

Anyone who has played football at any level who has a couple of brain cells must surely appreciate that movement isn't difficult. You're a striker, and the winger is running down the by-line - you are in line with the the centre backs so there's no way the ball can get to you without a defender blocking it. Hmmm. It must be impossible to score from there.

No, no it isn't. Step a couple of yards back and all of a sudden, hey presto, you are free! Yet on MOTD, when Demba Ba does this, it is described at "incredible movement".

I think it must be that we have stupid footballers in this country that genuinely can not work out that moving about into space isn't magic.

Please someone else agree with me 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just stupid English people, Bendtner is always guilty of that. At least he was in an Arsenal shirt, he hides behind the defender rather than getting away from him.

Just thought I'd comment.

That's why he fits in to English football so well/

I'm an absolute joke on a football pitch and always have been. I never learned the game and hated it at Junior School and from the age of 11 played only a bit of rugbyf or a couple of years before taking up rock climbing.

I recall taking part in a game on holiday in my late 30s and getting cheered for running out of defence, up the pitch into spsce on the right hand side. I had no game plan and the ball did not come near me yet I was complimented for "running into position!"

Like you say it's much easier to "run into position" than to plan ahead and be ready to receive the ball intelligently.

Now Brazil's 3rd goal against Belarus......back heeled by Neymar to another player running in at his side with a few seconds to go..that is part of the beautiful game! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

Tell you what is wrong with British football. We think moving about a bit is some magical piece of skill that only foreigners can do. When Team GB played last night, the commentators were noticing the difference in movement off the ball between us and the UAE.

Sorry, but what, precisely, is so difficult about moving about? The easy part of football is using two legs in alternate movements so as to move around the pitch. The difficult part is kicking the ball.

So why, exactly, do we think in this country that movement off the ball is tricky? Why, out of all the brilliant points to Spain's game, do we think that just moving around a bit to find a little bit of space is something that's incredible?

Anyone who has played football at any level who has a couple of brain cells must surely appreciate that movement isn't difficult. You're a striker, and the winger is running down the by-line - you are in line with the the centre backs so there's no way the ball can get to you without a defender blocking it. Hmmm. It must be impossible to score from there.

No, no it isn't. Step a couple of yards back and all of a sudden, hey presto, you are free! Yet on MOTD, when Demba Ba does this, it is described at "incredible movement".

I think it must be that we have stupid footballers in this country that genuinely can not work out that moving about into space isn't magic.

Please someone else agree with me 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

Have you switched to Poundland own brand batteries?

Or are you talking bollux Bunny?

You do have to be able to read the game....

Of course, but having the technique to kick a football is still far harder.

My point is, all the other countries in the world pretty much are starting to learn to make their players available for a pass, and to move off the ball. That shows anyone can do it if they want to. On the ball, we obviously have some fantastic players, so how hard can it really be for them to learn to move off the ball and find space?

That's the problem, trying to keep shape above all else.

I think it's never too late to change. Much of football is hand eye coordination skills but what I'm talking about here is in the noggin.

What Brendan Rogers does at Liverpool will be very interesting indeed.

Definitely talking sense, or maybe it's just me that thinks moving about into space is incredibly simple 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Course it is, as long as the oxygen in your suit holds out. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcyuKUtgyZ8

(As an aside, I recall saying to Mo55y when I frist heard it in 1969, "Great song but he'll never be able to follow that, he'll be a one hit wonder" Got that right too...not 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />)

Shapes and pattern. That's what training should be about.

Reg Harrison once gave us a training session and told us we don't need a ball as you spend 80mins + of a game without the ball. Yet all lads are interested in is having a ball at their feet.

My biggest gripe with football and most sports in this country as that people are too happy if someone gives a 100%. if I plaster your living room and make a right fook up will you still pay me if I give 100%?

I totally agree Duracell... it SHOULDN'T be such a big deal... but watching our players not be able to do it makes it look like the hardest thng in the world!

When you watch spain they always have 3/4 players available to recieive the ball... less good teams like Germany tend to have 2/3... when we play we tend to have 1... pretty easy for the opposition to work out what you're gonna do if there's only one option for a pass...

Only English player who can find space well is Scholes...

They always say the best players are able to find time and space. Its about instinct as well, some people have it, some don't. A lot can be said for the style of play, as you say, Liverpool will be the ultimate in teaching old dogs new tricks.

Archived