The Olympics Thread

-JW-

I hope everyone around the world actually got it though as what it is could be lost on some. The last bit while derided by me I think for something to be British like this you need a mad man who can't sing to try and sing and get everyone involved.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"United Nations Champion of the Earth," not a bad title to have!

You'd be handing out business cards all over the place, also you could never lose an argument, "who said so?" , 'why I do, the United Nations Champion of the Earth!!!'

I hope everyone around the world actually got it though as what it is could be lost on some. The last bit while derided by me I think for something to be British like this you need a mad man who can't sing to try and sing and get everyone involved.

that's Sir Paul you are referring to, Straight to the tower for you YR.

That was one of most confusing opening ceremonies I think I've ever witnessed. It seemed like they crammed a bit too much symbolism in there and made it overly busy. I felt like I should've taken some LSD to properly prepare for it. It didn't help that the American announcers for it were dreadful and were almost as confusing as the ceremonies themselves. Also, 100 foot tall Voldemort will give me nightmares for months I'm sure.

How odd....I heard a comentator from America say what you just posted almost word for word on London radio station LBC 97.3 around half past four this morning.

Anyway, I don't care what people from overseas thought about it, it was for us, paid by us, furthermore ,the fact people didn't get it appeals to me more.

That was one of most confusing opening ceremonies I think I've ever witnessed. It seemed like they crammed a bit too much symbolism in there and made it overly busy. I felt like I should've taken some LSD to properly prepare for it. It didn't help that the American announcers for it were dreadful and were almost as confusing as the ceremonies themselves. Also, 100 foot tall Voldemort will give me nightmares for months I'm sure.

You wouldn't be by yourself if you were confused Rok - but to us it made sense. A couple of media reactions from your neck of the woods summed up being British for me, our way of doing things is almost like an inigma to some but that's what makes us who we are.

The New York Times said

"With it's hilariously quirky opening Olympic ceremony, a wild jumble of the celebratory and the fanciful; the conventional and the eccentric; and the frankly off- the- wall; Britain presented itself to the world as something it has often struggled to express even to itself: a nation secure in it's own post-empire identity, whatever that actually is".

From the Washington Post

" If the opening ceremonies of the London Games seemed sometimes like the world's biggest inside joke, the message from Britain resonated loud & clear: We may not always be your cup of tea, but you know - and so often love - our culture nonetheless".

That about sums it up for me, I s'pose you could say we're unique when it comes to our history, heritage and way of doing things.

[size=3]

Thought it was all b*llshit myself, the Olympics is supposed to be a celebration of the best sports men and women, not a chance for us to come up with some elaborate school play.

[/size]

[size=3]

Yes it was visually quite cool to watch, probably cost a f*cking fortune though that would have been better spent on sorting the security of the whole event out.

[/size]

Thought it was all b*llshit myself, the Olympics is supposed to be a celebration of the best sports men and women, not a chance for us to come up with some elaborate school play.

[size=3]Yes it was visually quite cool to watch, probably cost a f*cking fortune though that would have been better spent on sorting the security of the whole event out.[/size]

Booooooooooooooooooooooooo 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

In fairness after the ceremony Michael Johnson didn't think a lot of Americans would really understand it. I thought it was glorious, it was a celebration of our brilliance in almost every field, contrasting good with bad, the simple with the complex and I loved it. We could have made it overly shallow with fireworks but I'm so glad we didn't.

I feared it would be awful. But credit to Mr Boyle, I thought it was great. Can see why it could be confusing but screw that. It was Britain.I loved the Mr Bean moment, very bold to sort of "damage" such a signature piece of music but it was delivered perfectly and a great thing for everyone.

Archived