Vandals spray paint Clough statue

David

THE statue of legendary Forest manager Brian Clough in Nottingham city centre was defaced by vandals last night.

The face of the statue was spray painted white at 10.23pm last night and his chest had a letter S scrawled on.

City council workers moved quickly to clean up the mess and the paint has now been removed.

The vandalism was recorded on CCTV which covers the area and police have been informed.

It has caused outrage among people in the city centre.

Tim Harris emailed the Evening Post about vandalism. He said: "It astounds me that anyone would do this to such a great guy.

"I hope they catch the culprits and put them on the pitch prior to a Forest match."

Jamie Parker, 28, of Wollaton, said: "It's terrible. It is so disrespectful. I really hope they catch who did it."

Chris Bailey, head of streetscene at Nottingham City Council, said: "It happened at 10.23 last night. We've got it on CCTV. Whether we can identify who did it, I don't know.

"It's vandalism, so it's a crime and the police are involved. Although it looks like a solid statue, it is quite easy to damage and we don't want that to happen.

"It is just such a shame."

The £70,000 statue was unveiled by Brian's widow Barbara Clough on November 6 as a crowd of more than 4,000 fans looked on.

It was created by world-renowned sculptor Les Johnson, who was chosen by a panel of judges, including Mrs Clough, because they were impressed with his ability to render a strong likeness of Cloughy and liked the idea of having a statue in his trademark pose - with his hands clasped above his head in a salute to fans.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man charged with Clough statue vandalism

Sunday, May 24, 2009, 16:17

A 23-YEAR-OLD man has been charged in connection with the vandalism of the Brian Clough statue.

Dominic Luke-Clarke, 23, of Alfreton Road, Nottingham, is to appear at Nottingham Magistrates Court tomorrow charged with criminal damage following the incident on Wednesday.

He is also charged with causing criminal damage to the Curry Lounge restaurant, in Upper Parliament Street, on the same day.

Luke-Clarke will face a third charge of breaching an anti-social behaviour order which bans him from for having any form of paint, marker pen, ink, dye or spray can in a public place.

He has been remanded in police custody until the hearing.

Archived