Wimbledon 2012/Nadal out in 5 sets

Curtains

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem Murray has is that there's three other players who are just clearly better than him;

Fed's better on grass

Rafa's better on clay

Novac's better on hard court

I genuinely just can't see him winning one.

There was a time a few years ago where it looked like Murray and Djokovic were both going to challenge Rafa and Roger, but while Novac has pushed on Murray's largely stood still.

I just can't bear the thought of another media frenzy again next year. 'After the heartbreak and tears of last year Andy Murray bids to rid himself of the Wimbledon hoodoo' etc. All day today we have been bombarded with Wimbledon stories as if we are a nation obsessed with the game, all tottering off to 'the club' with our rackets and debating Nadal's backhand over a pint. The fact is most of us couldn't give a toss - it's about as popular as Scottish Football (another subject the BBC seems obsesed with). It's hyped because Wimbledon is all the BBC has left. Let's move on. There are a variety of heroes in the making at the Olympics and we should concentrate on getting behind them.

SillyBilly

I think Fed has 1 more Grand Slam in him. That'll put him on 18. I wonder if that is enough to hold off Nadal (11), I can see him taking at least another 3 French opens which would put him on 14. I'm not sure Nadal's game will allow him to be as competitive as Fed is now at 30 so I think he needs to start chalking up now. I think Fed will continue on as long as he is still standing if only to scupper the chances of his rivals. I've loved watching Federer over the last decade, I'd love to see him bow out as the greatest ever.

Murray might only be 25, but he's not going to be playing as long as Federer. Not with all of his injuries. It'd be nice for him to get a grand slam title, but whether he ever will or not, I don't know.

True,

And he only has one tendon in his ankles, compared to the three normal folk have - hence the ankle braces.

I think as long as Federer can play like that he will continue to win big tournaments, it amazes me that at 30 he can pull a performence like that off. As soon as the roof closed Federer looked a cut above and took Murray to the cleaners, even when Federer made countless unforced errors in the first and second sets he was still in it and that shows how great he is. Murray will never ever win a grand slam, the reason why is that he isn't a top class player. He doesn't have that touch of magic which the top 3 do, all Murray does is be consistent, hit the ball hard while being fast with a decent drop shot. He cannot pull something out of the hat like Federer can. I hope Federer keeps going as I am a massive fan of his and I was delighted to see him win today, he really deserved it and he is a class act.

Murray had a relatively easy passage to the final this year, he didn't have to play fed, Nadal or Djok. As long as those three remain as good as they are for another 3-5 years which is certainly conceivable then Murray simply won't win a grand slam as they are just to good for him.

I think as long as Federer can play like that he will continue to win big tournaments, it amazes me that at 30 he can pull a performence like that off. As soon as the roof closed Federer looked a cut above and took Murray to the cleaners, even when Federer made countless unforced errors in the first and second sets he was still in it and that shows how great he is. Murray will never ever win a grand slam, the reason why is that he isn't a top class player. He doesn't have that touch of magic which the top 3 do, all Murray does is be consistent, hit the ball hard while being fast with a decent drop shot. He cannot pull something out of the hat like Federer can. I hope Federer keeps going as I am a massive fan of his and I was delighted to see him win today, he really deserved it and he is a class act.

Murray had a relatively easy passage to the final this year, he didn't have to play fed, Nadal or Djok. As long as those three remain as good as they are for another 3-5 years which is certainly conceivable then Murray simply won't win a grand slam as they are just to good for him.

Never ever win a grandslam? Murray is a quality player, he just happens to be playing in the greatest era if male tennis of all time, he will win one and when he does even though the british media sensationalism has made me dislike him for quite a while, I think I will actually be happy for him when he does win one in either Australia or America.

Never ever win a grandslam? Murray is a quality player, he just happens to be playing in the greatest era if male tennis of all time, he will win one and when he does even though the british media sensationalism has made me dislike him for quite a while, I think I will actually be happy for him when he does win one in either Australia or America.

He won't win one in my view. In all era's of tennis there are great players people like Sampras, Bjorg etc etc, maybe between the time of Sampras going and Federer being great there was a gap. However Djoc, Federer and Nadal are such good players that dominate grand slams and I cannot see Murray ever winning one. If Nadal and Djoc keep going for 4 more years as good as they are, and federer keeps going for a couple of years (who knows with him) then Murray will be 28-29 before he gets a good chance at winning one, then the younger generation will be catching him up and as he relies upon hitting the ball hard and athelticism he will struggle. This Wimbledon Murray had an easy passage to the final, he didn't have to play the top 3. However when he did he lost and lost convincingly. Until he can compete with those top 3 for long periods then he won't win one.

I only watch tennis now and again so my view isn't worth much however Murray lacks a certain touch of genius or magic that those 3 have.

An easy passage? Granted he didn't have Djokovic or Nadal but he still had Bagdhatis (very unpredictable and still good), not to mention number 5 in the world Ferrer who easily beat him at the French and then Tsonga who knocked out Feds last year and is number 6 in the world..

Murray is like England.. A very good passive player who has excellent defensive skills and can counter-attack to win games.. The majority of his wins comes from he other player making unforced errors and not hitting enough winners.. That will only get you so far.. Just with England, the moment you come up against the best that can do anything and everything, he just gets outclassed.. Feds made as many errors as Tsonga or Ferrer did, the only difference being is that Feds also hit double the amount of winners as any other player Murray faced..

Murray needs to take a leaf out of Djokovics book.. They were at a very even level until Djokovic added an attacking dimension to his game (similar to Man City who gradually went from defensive to attacking under Mancini but still posses sound a sound defensive game)..

An easy passage? Granted he didn't have Djokovic or Nadal but he still had Bagdhatis (very unpredictable and still good), not to mention number 5 in the world Ferrer who easily beat him at the French and then Tsonga who knocked out Feds last year and is number 6 in the world..

Murray is like England.. A very good passive player who has excellent defensive skills and can counter-attack to win games.. The majority of his wins comes from he other player making unforced errors and not hitting enough winners.. That will only get you so far.. Just with England, the moment you come up against the best that can do anything and everything, he just gets outclassed.. Feds made as many errors as Tsonga or Ferrer did, the only difference being is that Feds also hit double the amount of winners as any other player Murray faced..

Murray needs to take a leaf out of Djokovics book.. They were at a very even level until Djokovic added an attacking dimension to his game (similar to Man City who gradually went from defensive to attacking under Mancini but still posses sound a sound defensive game)..

I think there is a big gap between the top 3 and everyone else, If Nadal hadn't of lost early on he would have had to face Nadal instead of Ferer. Murray did have to beat Ferer and Tsonga who are very good however he didn't have to beat anyone who was top class like the top 3 to get to the final, he had to beat people who were below him in the rankings and in talent. Maybe I was wrong to characterise it as easy but it certainly wasn't gruelling or unexpected with who he had to play.

Removing Gluten from his diet didn't hurt either, gave him the ability to really compete in the 5 setters whcih he was clearly lacking beforehand.

Archived