Tax Dodging

Day

well I seperate legality from morality and ethics. Just because something is leagl it doesn't make it any better in my view. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I'm not saying I agree with them YR, but at the end of the day, it's legal. Will the government make it illegal? I don't think they would because odds on they're doing the same thing. They might tighten a few loopholes but I doubt it would be stopped altogether.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying I agree with them YR, but at the end of the day, it's legal. Will the government make it illegal? I don't think they would because odds on they're doing the same thing. They might tighten a few loopholes but I doubt it would be stopped altogether.

well actually there will be an anit avoidance law which won't address specific problems but a general measure. One has to seperate illegality from immorality, in 30's Germany it was illegal to have a relationship with someone from a Jewish Background if you were German. It didn't make the action wrong it just made it a bad law, I believe tax avoidance cost more money to the treasury, cost more people good schools, library's, roads and other essentials in poor communities than a few thousand pounds from some MPs and to me for that reason tax avoidance is more immoral than scamming personal allowences which is also wrong.

I'm guessing someone sitting at desk and earning 50k has you spitting feathers.

Not really, although he is not AT a desk most of the time, my son in law gets 10 times that amount,but he does not phisically work as hard as a refuse collector, sorry if that is not the correct term.

Not really, although he is not AT a desk most of the time, my son in law gets 10 times that amount,but he does not phisically work as hard as a refuse collector, sorry if that is not the correct term.

How are you exactly defining Hard Work smiffy? Do you mean physically hard like you infer here? Do you think people should be paid by how much physical work they perform?

Would you be able to class someone works behind a computer all day as a "hard worker"?

Just wondering if I'm reading you right here.

Watched 8 out of 10 cats last night, very very funny, Good on Jimmy Carr for taking jokes as well as dishing them out.

I know this isn't on the same level but i bet that people who ever brought products from companies like play.com wasn't complaining about the lower prices because of the tax loop-hole in Jersey

[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/nov/09/channel-islands-vat-waiver-blocked]http://www.guardian....-waiver-blocked

Treasury blocks Channel Island mail order VAT loophole

[size=3]The VAT waiver was blamed in part for the closure of a string of record shops, including Fopp, Zavvi and Virgin Megastores[/size]

[size=1]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Admin/BkFill/Default_image_group/2011/10/19/1319025060997/coldplay-007

[size=3]Retailers offered discounts of upto 20%, on chart-topping albums such as by Coldplay, sold through outlets in the Channel Islands. Photograph Sarah Lee[/size]

[size=3]The Treasury is closing a controversial [url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/channelislands]Channel Islands tax loophole that was putting independent retailers out of business and costing £140m a year in lost tax receipts on music, films, flowers and cosmetics.

Mail order retailers including Play.com and The Hut Group made fortunes from a tax concession that allowed them to post goods worth less than £18 from Jersey and Guernsey free of VAT, undercutting UK competitors and forcing independent traders off the high street and internet.

The government on Tuesday announced that from 1 April 2012, the VAT waiver known as low value consignment relief (LVCR) will not apply to goods sent from the Channel Islands. Costs from the loophole to taxpayers had "increased dramatically" in recent years, the Treasury said.

Exchequer secretary David Gauke said: "These reforms will ensure that UK companies, especially small and medium sized enterprises, can compete on a level playing field with those larger companies with the resources to set up operations in the Channel Islands. We are also protecting a significant amount of tax revenue."

For those with deep enough pockets to set up a base on the Channel Islands, which campaigners say costs around £20,000 to £30,000 a year, LVCR allowed retailers to discount prices by as much as the current 20% VAT rate.

The tax concession encouraged the development of "circular shipping" across a range of industries. The practice began in horticulture, where many plants and bulbs grown in the UK were imported in bulk to Jersey and Guernsey for repackaging, and then sold back into the mainland via mail order, often through TV shopping channels such as QVC.

Circular shipping spread to contact lenses, vitamins, cosmetics and even USB memory sticks. Record labels originally fought against the trend, but in recent years allowed retailers such as Play.com to resell CDs licensed for the UK market. Britain's largest music retailer, the embattled [url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/hmvgroup]HMVGroup, even undercut its high street stores by setting up a Channel Islands mail order service.

To the benefit of Channel Islands postal services, other high street names piled in, with Asda, Tesco, Dixons and WH Smith using The Hut Group, with its Guernsey operations, to sell anything from CDs to handbags and jewellery.

LVCR has been blamed in part for the closure of a string of record shops, including Fopp, [url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/zavvi]Zavvi, and Virgin Megastores. With bedroom retailers using Amazon and eBay increasingly using the loophole, LVCR was also beginning to dent independent online sellers.

"This round tripping mail order industry, whilst popular with consumers, has destroyed or damaged scores of viable job-creating businesses on the UK mainland," said Richard Allen, who started campaigning to close the loophole under the Retailers Against Tax Abuse Scheme banner when his online music business failed due to VAT free competitors. He added: "The removal of this major market distortion should be welcomed by all UK businesses that wish to trade online."[/size][/size]

[url=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/barclays-shamed-by-290m-fine-for-market-fixing-7893782.html]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/barclays-shamed-by-290m-fine-for-market-fixing-7893782.html

Barclays fined £290million for "lying on an almost daily basis" in the information it published to the market.

"We are all in this together" David Cameron 2011.

The amount of corrupt people in power in this country makes me sick.

Indeed, and people are just going to feel sicker. One thing about this though, an awful lot of people who thought they where above the law are now going to be feeling a little more exposed. Cameron has so little clue what he is doing that everything is just falling apart.

The amount of corrupt people in power in this country makes me sick.

Its not the corruption that gets you LR, its the hypocrisy. Its the people at the top demanding low pay, job insecurity and no safety net for the majority just so the top 1% can get richer and richer.

A multimillionaire tax dodger is a greater danger to the fabric of this country than a thousand so called benefit scroungers.

If they really want people to work then use the wealth to create real jobs ffs. What they really mean is they want people to work for fook all and be grateful for it.

Bob Diamond has said he won't resign and he is blaming others for manipulating the interest rates. I bet that's a load of lying cobblers for a start, it's a disgrace.

He wants sacking & prosecuting, along with anyone else who's been doing it - up to 20 banks around the world according to the Beeb.

How can the banks regain trust now?

Bob Diamond picked up between £8 and £12 million quid last year - depending on which paper you read - a lot of it in bonus's - and he didn't know what was going on?????

That's what I mean Uttox, there's no way he didn't know what was happening, no way at all.

didnt he take a pay cut, to become the boss because he earnt so much in the investment bank!

that vat loophole is a joke its not changed anything nobodys margin seems to have been affected if anything it seems worse since the change, (this is a sector I work in)

Bob Diamond has said he won't resign and he is blaming others for manipulating the interest rates. I bet that's a load of lying cobblers for a start, it's a disgrace.

He wants sacking & prosecuting, along with anyone else who's been doing it - up to 20 banks around the world according to the Beeb.

How can the banks regain trust now?

He's just resigned!

Is resigning enough? The Dept for Justice is involved now isn't it, looking into wether criminal charges should be brought.

It's about time greedy people in charge of the banks were ousted.

Archived