Tax Dodging

Day

I'm not sure what that all means / what you are getting at I was referring to the money that paid for him to go to Eton was from his dads 'Tax Dodgings'

Was poking a stick in the direction of Eton’s charitable status which can be seen as another tax avoidance scam for the benefit of children of overly rich tax avoiders.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reward success and entrepeurnalism, not tax it. Too many people think redistributing money across society should be a state policy.

The guy who earns 100k has a lot more left as well.

He earnt that 100k. Key word being earnt. The state should keep its hands off it.

Fully agree with all of your views - would just add, bloody hell slow down a bit Observer. Unless it's your own firm of course.

I worked 90 hours plus a week for a corporate for two years and it ended up nearly killing me at 39.

Your bosses and their bosses don't really remember how hard you worked and you won't be worrying about paying too much tax if you keep doing 7 days at 15 hours a day.

Work/Life balance, it's no good earning all that money if you're not with your wife and kids to see the benefits. Another reason why I think 33% is about the max..

I own my own business luckily the more effort I put in the more money I make, but its hard at the mo nobody spending!!!

"He earnt that 100k." thats open to debate isnt it tho?

i mean do you think rooney EARNS his 100k a week, especially after his performance last night?

rooney does earn the money though, the exact same any premier league player does, they get paid what they do because of the league they play in and the money that is there!

Football should have a wage cap system in my view, they are overpaid but nobody on here would turn it down!!

He earnt that 100k. Key word being earnt. The state should keep its hands off it.

Nah mate, total bo llocks, are you saying that the more you get the harder you work, how old are you twelve.

Well I was 69 last saturday, and I will tell you that with very few exceptions, the people that do the most work, tend to get the least money, thats the way its always been.

Nah mate, total bo llocks, are you saying that the more you get the harder you work, how old are you twelve.

Well I was 69 last saturday, and I will tell you that with very few exceptions, the people that do the most work, tend to get the least money, thats the way its always been.

Saalry level is irrelevant Smiffy. It comes down to your own personal ethics. I worked as an agency picker on night shift and I worked my balls off and made sure I didnt take the p with breaks. I was paid hourly - I worked hourly.

I didn't want anyone to be able to say I hadnt worked hard.

My last job I worked hard. I made a lot more than I got at the agemcy but I still worked hard. I dont know any other way.

I have seen shirkers who make over 250k and I have seen shirkers who make 3 pounds and hour.

Tax dodging is done by people from all walks of life.

It's done by the rich and super rich, who can afford to pay accountants to shift their money into funds abroad.

Below them it's done by employers who tax their own salary with corporation tax (23%) rather than income tax (30-45%).

And below them it's done by cash in hand labourers.

However those at the top shouldn't be doing it. They are already extraordinarily rich so it's not as if they need to. Also, they should be setting an example to the rest of society.

Mmm, David Cameron. Didn't his dad make his fortune in tax havens? Was he morally unethical in David's eyes when he got his share of his dosh?

At least what they've done is legal after all, not like what they've done in making fraudelent expenses claims.

I think stating that wealth redistribution by the state isn't neccesary is rather naive personally. The gap between rich and poor has never been bigger, people who earn more can give more proportionally to help those who are often in very low paid jobs who do very hard work. Money needs to be ploughed into inner city schools to make them better and give kids more access to books to help improve their performence in school,where will the money come from? well it will not come out of thin air. Adam Smith's argument on the invisible hand of distribution is outdated and doesn't apply anymore unfortunately. It really frustrates me when some in this country rely on food banks yet we have people swanning around in Bentleys who avoid tax and complain that their millionaire salary is taxed at 50% at 100k. Rewarding entrepeuners doesn't come from tax breaks in personal wealth but in part company wealth and the leader of a big business is going to gain substantial rewards with 60% tax. We aren't talking 98% tax, even thatcher had 50% tax and she was considered a free market freak.

LR from a utilitarian perspective what tax avoiders have done is worse because they have robbed more people of more money. The expenses scandel was a few thousand, nothing eyewatering unlike the sums which are being talked about here.

But using those methods to pay less tax is legal and those claims were not. It's not the money as such, it's the principle of it.

Well I couldn't possibly comment, I know I couldn't do the City lifestyle (most people seem to focus on bankers) myself, 80-100 hours+, makes my 50-60 look like child's play.

Well I couldn't possibly comment, I know I couldn't do the City lifestyle (most people seem to focus on bankers) myself, 80-100 hours+, makes my 50-60 look like child's play.

Hours worked and how hard you work a entirely different things

Hours worked and how hard you work a entirely different things

I'm guessing someone sitting at desk and earning 50k has you spitting feathers.

Archived