Boxer to return at 63 !

vicky-27

British boxing legend Ken Buchanan says he could make a return to the ring at the age of 63. The former world lightweight champion, regarded by many experts as the greatest British boxer of all time, says he needs to return to make money.

"I would be the oldest professional world champion ever to make a comeback," he told 5 Live Sport.

"It wouldn't be a legal fight, it would be white-collar boxing. I've got to do it, it's the only way to make money."

The Scot, who will be 64 on 28 June, won the WBA lightweight title in 1970 and became undisputed world champion in 1971.

He says he has already been in talks with unlicenced promoters about a comeback and has been sparring with young hopefuls at the Sparta boxing club in Edinburgh.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o

I've got a broken back and shouldn't even be in a gym

Buchanan would have no hope of getting a licence from the British Boxing Board of Control, which regulates professional fights, but insists he would not need one.

"A lot of people will say I can't get a licence but I don't want a licence," said the Scot, who was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in June 2000.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived