'Demand based' Pricing For Tickets...

DcFc Dyycheee

hope this works, interestingly they liked to mention that ST holders will always get the cheapest price (fair enough) but what is a bit weird is that they say they will be sent out letters saying how much they have paid for each ticket - ie, a tuesday night games against huddersfield might be priced much lower than a sunday lunchtime KO against leeds/forest/leicester.. lets say a ST costs £460 (of course there are cheaper but it's easier to divide.)

23 home games... therefore the avg price per ticket is £20.

However, there's nothing to stop derby from valuing the forest and leeds games at £50 each.. so therefore these could become the cheapest tickets available for these games... this would however would mean that cheaper tickets would be available for less attractive games like hull, brighton, watford, blackpool. These last four games might be 'valued' at only £5, but the average ticket cost remains the same. Of course this is all hypothetical, but viewing prices for some baseball games, the prices vary a LOT depending on what game...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hope this works, interestingly they liked to mention that ST holders will always get the cheapest price (fair enough) but what is a bit weird is that they say they will be sent out letters saying how much they have paid for each ticket - ie, a tuesday night games against huddersfield might be priced much lower than a sunday lunchtime KO against leeds/forest/leicester.. lets say a ST costs £460 (of course there are cheaper but it's easier to divide.)

23 home games... therefore the avg price per ticket is £20.

However, there's nothing to stop derby from valuing the forest and leeds games at £50 each.. so therefore these could become the cheapest tickets available for these games... this would however would mean that cheaper tickets would be available for less attractive games like hull, brighton, watford, blackpool. These last four games might be 'valued' at only £5, but the average ticket cost remains the same. Of course this is all hypothetical, but viewing prices for some baseball games, the prices vary a LOT depending on what game...

The example I heard was based on a £300 season ticket (which is same as mine). Top 5 matches at £18.00 each, bottom 5 matches were £7 each, the rest inbetween, making total value at £300. I don't think £50 tickets will come into it.

As I understand it, the initial price will be the lowest ever purchase price. After they go on sale prices may start to rise, then can fall back but never to below the initial price.

After reading the article again you could be right, but they might decide to drop it below if hardly any tickets have been sold, I guess it is a wait and see.

Good points Gboro. Be interesting to see how it pans out. Like I said earlier, I don't think they'll be much change immediately.

Going into the new year 4 points clear at the top, then we'll see some "demand based pricing". 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Oh, and what about cup matches? Going on the last few seasons cup attendances, they'll be about £2.50!

If all that happened is that everyone bought their tickets early then it would mean the club would have a good idea on the expected gate well in advance, something which is valuable ti a business in itself.

For high-demand games there a possibility of the club increasing our poor average ticket price, which is good for the coffers.

And for games with no demand such as the League Cup matches, we could see more people inclined to go for "bargain basement" prices and maybe a half-decent attendance! Something fans have discussed the possibly of many times.

On the surface it sounds a win all round, we'll have to see how it pans out!

The example I heard was based on a £300 season ticket (which is same as mine). Top 5 matches at £18.00 each, bottom 5 matches were £7 each, the rest inbetween, making total value at £300. I don't think £50 tickets will come into it.

it's an extreme value, i'm trying to scaremonger..

if this system does work, it will be great for fans who can't afford to go to every game and aren't too bothered about who the opposition are.

Be interesting to see how season ticket holders react when tickets are going for £1.50 when we're languished dead bottom with 14 points and 3 games to go... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

This is tailor-made for people like me who decide (well when the Mrs decides to let me 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' /> ) at the last minute to go and watch a game. Last season I only managed to get to three games and two of those were Burnley & Sounthampton which I'm guessing were Gold fixtures so if I get say a fiver off for a similar priced game this season I'd be encouraged to come along to a few more.

As long as the average price for season ticket holders isn't breached I think it's a win/win.

As mentioned before airlines use this pricing model all the time to fill aircraft, unfortunatly budget airlines are a bad example as they just want to fill a seat (then they charge you for everything else), whilst a bigger player BA, United etc want to fill a seat, however want to command a decent revenue from it and provide a full service.

There will be seat bandings within the categories, and these will be influenced on the rating of the match.

So for example - ignore the pricing, its just there to show structure, and not accurate.

So the lowest price for a seat in a Cat C could vary from say £30 for a Leeds game and £9 for Watford. (we'll ignore the upper limit).

Now throughout the season if someone had managed to pay for only the lowest price, so bought everything way in advance, the total would still be equal to or possibly greater (booking fees) than the season ticket price. I doubt that we would have seats for £1.50 for league games, however cup matches will be a lot different.

Also away fan pricing would remain the same, as you would need the opposing club to have a similiar system in place.

What a lot of people with season tickets may object to is that on a tuesday night in Febuary, windy and raining, we are playing Peterbrough and people are sat round you having paid £9, and that is half what your average per game is, however on a Saturday in April we are playing Forest, we can send them down and we can cement 2nd or 3rd, the people around you have paid £55, three times your average match price.

Hope that helps

Derby County the pioneers of modern day football.

Quite looking forward to this, makes getting tickets a bit of a game! For example say we're playing Watford, I think there's a chance Ward's hamstring might get a bit tight in training, Buxton's got a black eye from sticking his head out for every ball so I'll wait until match day because it might be £25.

Has anyone seen anything relating to Cup matches even coming into this? Because I highly doubt that it could be used, certainly for the FA Cup.

It has always been my understanding, that the away side have a significant input into the price of tickets for FA Cup matches. That is why sometimes we want to sell them for £10, but they get half the income, so demand we sell them for a ridiculous £30.

Has anyone seen anything relating to Cup matches even coming into this? Because I highly doubt that it could be used, certainly for the FA Cup.

It has always been my understanding, that the away side have a significant input into the price of tickets for FA Cup matches. That is why sometimes we want to sell them for £10, but they get half the income, so demand we sell them for a ridiculous £30.

Can't see it for any cup games, as you have said the opp has a say in the pricing.

Think people might be getting carried away with some figures here, I doubt ticket prices will vary in the huge way some think, more like 50p here and there!

In principal this is a good idea, as long as the starting price is not lower than season ticket prices and the price when it fluctuates doesn't dip below that starting price.

The lowest base price will be the season ticket "value" of that seat. It will never go below that price. So the starting price for Millwall at home and Forset at home are potentially the same but in reality the forest early buy option is likely to be in excess of £30.00 where as the Millwall ticket could be say £10 -£20 depending on where you want to sit.

Archived