I will always support my Country

Day

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it when players sing the national anthem, but I can forgive them feeling a little nervous and falling short on that front if they go out there and play their best. The game is won with goals, not decibel levels on the national anthem.

I'm also looking forward to this tournament but I'm still concerned about our own hopes. Now everyone is quietly confident about us having low expectations, surely that means we actually have high expectations now?

As for Stewart Downing...he played a number of qualiying games and often played well. I think it's right we're largely taking the team that got us qualified.

As Roy said, plenty of time to stamp his own authority on the team after the tournament. But he'd be mad to tinker with it with only one friendly before it begins!

In Gary Neville's defence, he's a republican, which I can roll with. But there's a time and place I suppose.

If you dont agree with it you dont have to sing it.

I wouldnt sing it, i'd still try my hardest and be proud to play for my country.

It's great.....the best national anthem in the world.

When I hear it sung, I'll join in but as far as it being a piece of music, I think it's boring and too slow.

The only time when I enjoy the national anthem is when the England football team are lined up in front of the camera and you can hear thousands of people bellowing it out. It's not a great piece of music, it was designed for that exact reason, so thousands could sing at the top of their voice and inspire their 'troups'. It's the only way it works as a composition.

I used to stand up and put my hand on my heart in those days. Olympics as well, Linford Christie, Sally Gunnell, Kriss Akabusi bombing it down the last 100 meters in the 4x4 relay, great sporting times during the 90's.

These days, although there seems to be an appearence of national pride after the royal wedding in the strangest of places[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18141421]'>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18141421] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18141421 people are less patriotic and the anthem seems less inspired. Even at the football.

I think if the anthem was changed to fit modern England (since this is strictly an English thing) people would be more motivated to sing it. No disrespect to the royal family, they just exist in a disillusioned English and British time. We're far to multi cultured for it to be something people sing with pride, since it relates to a part of history a lot of people find barbaric and elitist.

To me it's one of the most boring, uninspiring songs out there. Also it's the national anthem of GB not just England so I'd much prefer one of our own and 'Jerusalem' stands out for me. (And you can belt it out too MuespachRam...!)

To me it's one of the most boring, uninspiring songs out there. Also it's the national anthem of GB not just England so I'd much prefer one of our own and 'Jerusalem' stands out for me. (And you can belt it out too MuespachRam...!)

You're right about the anthem, it's just dull - but I wouldn't want Jerusalem sang at a football match, that belongs to rugby and Twickenham, along with Swing Low.

SillyBilly

I've pondered over the feasibility of dividing the country into two for a while, not geographically but by preference of system of government. That way I can enjoy my royal related bank hoildays in peace whilst the republicans can enjoy the privileges of having a political head of state, all in the comfort of the office. Any loss revenues by virtue of what the royal family add and what a president would detract can be subsidised by the republican tax payer.

Archived