Pride Park - World Cup Venue

Day

David Beckham is expected to officially kick off England's bid to host the World Cup on Monday.

The England midfielder, a bid vice-president, is due to play a major role in the star-studded launch event at Wembley Stadium.

Personalities from the bid team campaigning for either the 2018 or 2022 tournament will also be speaking.

Leading politicians from the three main parties will also be in attendance to underline cross-party support for the bid.

The launch will aim to set out England's reasons for bidding and to underline the country's unrivalled infrastructure and stadia, and the economic benefits that would accompany the World Cup.

BBC presenter Adrian Chiles will be the compere for the event, which will be followed by a meeting for representatives from 15 cities who are all hoping to be hosts. The prospective hosts will be given an update on the requirements needed as well as the timings for the process to choose the cities.

The 15 cities are: Birmingham, Bristol, Derby, Hull, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Nottingham, Portsmouth, Sheffield and Sunderland.

FIFA's 24-man executive committee will vote on the hosts for both the 2018 and 2022 tournaments in December next year. Spain and Russia are England's main European rivals in Europe, while the USA and Australia are also bidding.

[url=http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5328285,00.html]http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8...5328285,00.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be great for Derby to get to host a world cup game although I would imagine it would depend on Forest getting there new ground or our own expansion plans.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by David;15063+-->(David;15063)

This is terrific news but it's going to take a lot of work.

As I'm an anorak, all of the cities which will require stadia redevelopment have been highlighted in blue.

Otherwise, this is superb news and will give so many young cities a chance to shine and have their sports facilities developed.

Also, in terms of the East Midlands as a whole it is good. People know it is a massive cultural desert and fast becoming a sporting desert.

<!--QuoteBegin-David;15063

Be great for Derby to get to host a world cup game although I would imagine it would depend on Forest getting there new ground or our own expansion plans.

I hope it doesn't mean a super stadium will be built in Long Eaton which we have to share.

Though it might mean the FA or the Government will give us and the Dogs extra funding in order to expand our stadium, or in Nottingham build a new one as there probably isn't space in West Bridgford as houses and rivers sit right next to their stadium.

Come on Derby!

Quite frankly I think it is a waste of time and energy.

I live near Sheffield in a little town called Rotherham (don't laugh) When Wednesday hosted their European games the place came grinding to halt as it does when 15,000 attend their revolting stadium for a league game. The place was invaded by ******* furriners who parachuted in and then left the same day without increasing the wealth of the club or town.

Anyway who wants to watc Japan, Australia or some bscure African team as there is no way we'd get anybody worth switching the telly on for let alone going to watch live at the ground.

Originally posted by derbydan;15170

i thought the minimum for a world cup game was something like 40-44k seater suppose there is plenty of time to do the work though

I read it was 50,000 somewhere but some of the stadiums in the Germany World Cup were about 40,000. So if we took the plan of adding rows of seats round the North, East and South stands we'd have about 44,000.

Though does Derby have enough hotels, bars and large open spaces to accommodate the thousands of fans flocking on the city?

As we've hosted a few u-21s, one international and a women's F.A Cup Final I think that proves we've got a capable enough venue.

Derby, Nottingham AND Leicester though??? East Midlands Airport will choke to death with fans. It's busy enough during holidays.

12 of the 15 cities will be chosen. We'll find out in 2010 whether or not the bid is successful. It will be a true East Midlands rivalry over which city gets chosen.

Though in my opinion, is it likely Forest will be able to,

1. Justify a new stadium? Their attendances are low.

2. Raise the funds? Aren't they in debt.

3. Get planning permission? Clifton is a busy area though it does have the "close to the M1" and "Urban regeneration" b*ll*cks which could be played on. Though the plan is in precious Nottingham green belt.

4. Have a World Cup infrastructure? Yes it's a big city close to the M1 and their market square would hold crowds.

Is it likely Leicester will be able to,

1. Justify expansion? Their attendances are low.

2. Raise the funds?

3. Get planning permission? No problems I imagine.

4. Have a World Cup infrastructure? Big city, ethnically diverse and all that so probably yes.

Is it likely Derby will be able to,

1. Justify expansion? Our attendances are high, our ground is prepared and the plan has been in the pipeline for a couple of years.

2. Raise the funds? How much would a few new rows cost?

3. Get planning permission? No problems I imagine.

4. Have a World Cup infrastructure? The fastest growing city in the UK hmmm growing new hotels, Riverlights etc. Close to the M1, nearest city to EMA and a superb station for a city its size. It looks bright.

Please comment/expand/argue ....

Originally posted by CumbrianRam;15248

Just a feature on Look North, apparently only team a region is allowed, Sunderland and Newcastle are bidding against each other.

Newcastle have an expansion plan for 70,000 by making all the stands as big as the other two but what if they are relegated? I don't see 70,000 wanting to watch the CCC. Sunderland spent too much money on expanding and getting ahead of themselves. Now they don't fill the Stadium of Light. Newcastle probably the likely winner.

Originally posted by CumbrianRam;15252

Milton Keynes, what a JOKE.

Pete Winkelman will be spuffing his pants as we speak.

Their grounds about 20,000 with an upper tier that is disused but if used it would be 30,000. Pete will have to dig deep into his own pocket if it is to happen in MK.

We're looking at 8 years away, by then Leicester could be a extablished Premiership team and Forest could also be there, Derby could in League 1 struggling after Cloughs lower league signings didn't work out.

If Forest get there super stadium I don't see Derby being a match for Nottingham unfortunately, forget the gun carrying chavs Nottingham is a better equipped city to host a World Cup game.

Originally posted by David;15272

We're looking at 8 years away, by then Leicester could be a extablished Premiership team and Forest could also be there, Derby could in League 1 struggling after Cloughs lower league signings didn't work out.

If Forest get there super stadium I don't see Derby being a match for Nottingham unfortunately, forget the gun carrying chavs Nottingham is a better equipped city to host a World Cup game.

You WSing WUM Scum. :mad: /ohmy

Anyway, the cities and that will be arranged next year though. Nottingham has a better infrastructure for the large amounts of fans but I think their super stadium is unlikely. If it is, it probably won't be in eight years as some things will slow it down. Lack of money, deciding if it is justifiable, Green belt arguments, petitions etc and that's before design and construction has even begun. That could take over eight years.

Originally posted by David;15272

:eek:

Originally posted by JoeMadRam;15275

You WSing WUM Scum. :mad: /ohmy

Anyway, the cities and that will be arranged next year though. Nottingham has a better infrastructure for the large amounts of fans but I think their super stadium is unlikely. If it is, it probably won't be in eight years as some things will slow it down. Lack of money, deciding if it is justifiable, Green belt arguments, petitions etc and that's before design and construction has even begun. That could take over eight years.

Feck right off! PP is on the A52! The shity ground is in a busy nightmare to drive to **** hole.

Archived