Buxton And Roberts To Get New Deals

davenportram

Just a quick look for some of the love that's gone out to Buxton on this forum.

Sicknote just needs to be put out of his misery - at this rate he wont be fit to play until he's 50!

someone tell Buxton to take his time coming back from injury (about 20 years should do)

You can educate, you can't give pure talent. I want the lad to to well, but i have few hopes for him, to be honest.

buxton = GARBAGE useless slow and pointless, as pointless as the fecking amateur ginger we decided to sign from the bankrupt outfit ilkeston town, NIGEL YOU ARE NOT YOUR FATHER, you can't sign players from the non league and make them epic, get rid, anyway anyhow, cancel his contract, lead him away with chips to meadow lane see if they will take him, just get rid.

If it were me, I'd let Buxton go now, and then come January, when Addison returns, I'd probably let Anderson go as well.

Either way Buxton is far too injury prone to even be worthy of making the tea/coffee and should be offloaded, harsh but true.

Get rid this fat ****.

It's time for O'Brien and Jones.

Seriously, why do we bother? ALWAYS injured.

Too small and too slow, a useful backup if regularly fit and able to step in, a backup that's always injured isnt much use, get rid.

Finding those only took me about 15 minutes.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time of my quote I thought we had far too many centre backs. Since then we've let Riggott and Anderson go, and most likely Addison in the summer, so keeping Buxton's not a bad idea now.

Shackell, Barker, OB and Buxton with one added in the summer to provide extra cover in Barker's absence.

That's the point I was trying to make. They weren't slagging him off because of his ability, it was because Clough signed him from Burton.

If he'd have come from a prem teams reserves it'd be ok.

exactly what I have said before

Defensive duo Jake Buxton and Gareth Roberts have committed their futures to Derby County by signing new contracts with the Club.

Buxton and Roberts were due to be out of contract at the end of the current season, but they have now extended their stays at Pride Park by putting pen-to-paper on new deals.

Buxton, who is 27, has signed a two-year deal which will run until the summer of 2014 while 34-year-old Roberts has signed a one-year contract until June 2013.

Manager Nigel Clough commented: "It is great news for Derby County that both Jake and Gareth will be with us beyond the end of this season.

"Jake has battled his way back from a frustrating spell on the sidelines with injury, which I would imagine makes this news even sweeter for him. He never threw the towel in despite a few tough moments.

"Before he was given a run in the side a few weeks ago following Shaun Barker's injury he was playing his part coming off the bench, and he's been an important player to have in the squad.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/javaImages/c2/cb/0,,10270%7E10603458,00

New Deal: Jake Buxton has penned a new two-year deal with Derby County

"As for Gareth, he has had a very good season and he has been one of our most consistent performers, which is exactly why we brought him here in the first place.

"Gareth is reliable, steady and goes about his work in a very professional manner. He's a model professional and his form has been as good as anyone's in our squad.

"We've said all along we wanted to keep the pair of them and we're delighted that they see their futures with Derby County - because we see theirs with us."

Central defender Buxton joined Derby in the summer of 2009 from Burton Albion, just weeks after being named as their Player of the Season, and he went on to make 24 appearances for the Rams in the 2009-10 campaign.

However injury restricted him to just one outing from the bench last term, but he has since bounced back to make 19 appearances so far this season.

In March he wrote himself into Derby County folklore by scoring an injury-time winner against Nottingham Forest and has started the Rams' last six games alongside Jason Shackell in central defence.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/javaImages/bb/f5/0,,10270%7E10614203,00

Another Year: Gareth Roberts has signed a one-year contract until the end of next season

Left-back Roberts, who has 570 career appearances to his name, is approaching the end of his second season at Pride Park after arriving in the summer of 2010 from Doncaster Rovers.

After a stop-start first year at Pride Park he has been a near ever-present in defence this season and has registered 40 appearances, seeing off competition from on-loan Republic of Ireland international Kevin Kilbane earlier in the campaign to cement his place in the side.

The former Wales international also opened his goalscoring account for Derby during March, ironically against Doncaster at the Keepmoat Stadium in a 2-1 win for the Rams.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2732048,00.html

Great news. Let's get Green and Ward signed up now.

Would anyone on the forum not given Buxton and Roberts new contracts?

I'd like to think not, and I think the right length deals were done too. We can always extend Roberts again if he's still performing, and we haven't found his illusive replacement/understudy.

Roberts is mid thirties and this will have been the reason for a 1 year deal, Clough needs to unearth a bargain left back as mentioned above by others though.

Jake has provided cover in what looked to be an area where we had lots of options before our injury jinx struck again. If he hadn't scored "the goal" I'm not sure he would be getting the praise currently being bestowed on him. Jake has been steady but you get no finesse, it's good old centre back qualities of clear your lines as quick as you can approach. I have no problem with this provided that we have someone he can lay the ball off to and let them pass the ball forward. Shackell has not been that person in the majority of recent games, has anyone else got frustrated by his misplaced passes and wayward headers?

Roberts' deal seems sensible. Gives Clough time to unearth a left footed Brayford or Naylor!

Jake's a no brainer, cheap and reliable, great squad player who never lets you down.

Jake reminds me of Peter Daniels who as you know came in for Roy Mac for a season. Reliable and brave. Also probably a better footballer than people give him credit for.

Good news.

Roberts is a no-brainer given his upturn in form this season.

Bucko as well, as Utch said, cheap but dependable.

Let's hope Greenie tells Colin to fook off and Ward signs and then we're into the summer on a high.

Is he linked to leeds Staffs?

Archived