Ward and Green to be offered new contracts

Curtains

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suppose the owners might be prepared to match Green's current wage now that the FFP rules look like they've been scuppered. Maybe they have given Nigel a tiny bit of flexibility with the wage bill. Just a thought! Otherwise, maybe they offered him a ridiculously low wage and he is never going to sign it, but they can say, they have actually offered him a new deal.

Otherwise, if Green does sign for a lower wage than what he is currently on that would be a good tonic for the football club as a whole as he can cover a couple of positions and also is one of the older heads in the squad. Probably though there would be some kind of cheap release fee involved. Likewise with Ward if he signs on again, it helps the club keep hold of two or their more "saleable assets". If these players then become wanted by other clubs, we would at least get a reasonable fee for them.

If Green was a 'saleable asset', then he'd have gone already, or would be going on a free in the summer.

[size=2](And this bit isn't referencing what Stimacked said)[/size]

I like this quote:

Clough said: "When Jamie signed we said 'if you do well, then we will reward you', and that is all we are doing, keeping that promise. I don't think anyone can argue that he deserves it."

My only concern with the Ward situation is, will getting this improved deal suddenly demotivate him. Hopefully not.

With the Green talks, I wouldn't mind either way if he signed or went, so long as we had some kind of long term plan for the right midfield position. The idea of just throwing Hendrick on the right doesn't sit well with me, maybe Tyson could play there, or maybe we'd buy someone. At least with Green there we know we have some balance.

Archived